Jun 9, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
It’s been 20 years since a Stanley Cup Final game was played in New York City and with the New York Rangers returning home down 2-0 to the Los Angeles Kings, the atmosphere at Madison Square Garden figures to be intense.
Rangers coach Alain Vigneault was asked after this morning’s skate about where his team is at heading into tonight’s game and he feels like they’re in a good place despite being down.
“Chance-wise we’re right there with them,” Vigneault said. “We played some good hockey. We got a little bit unfortunate in that last third period. But, you know, we’re right there. We feel real good about our game. Going to be a great night to be hockey fans tonight.”
To say Rangers fans have been waiting for a while to be back on this stage is putting it lightly. A viewing of Game 1 in Bryant Park brought out over 10,000 fans and tickets on secondary markets like StubHub, as of this writing, start at $800.
If home ice advantage can’t give the Rangers a lift, they might have to deal with watching the Kings lift the Cup on their turf.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 3
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 10
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)