Jun 9, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
It’s been 20 years since a Stanley Cup Final game was played in New York City and with the New York Rangers returning home down 2-0 to the Los Angeles Kings, the atmosphere at Madison Square Garden figures to be intense.
Rangers coach Alain Vigneault was asked after this morning’s skate about where his team is at heading into tonight’s game and he feels like they’re in a good place despite being down.
“Chance-wise we’re right there with them,” Vigneault said. “We played some good hockey. We got a little bit unfortunate in that last third period. But, you know, we’re right there. We feel real good about our game. Going to be a great night to be hockey fans tonight.”
To say Rangers fans have been waiting for a while to be back on this stage is putting it lightly. A viewing of Game 1 in Bryant Park brought out over 10,000 fans and tickets on secondary markets like StubHub, as of this writing, start at $800.
If home ice advantage can’t give the Rangers a lift, they might have to deal with watching the Kings lift the Cup on their turf.
- All eyes on Lundqvist 0
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 8
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 25
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)