Jun 9, 2014, 12:06 PM EST
It’s been 20 years since a Stanley Cup Final game was played in New York City and with the New York Rangers returning home down 2-0 to the Los Angeles Kings, the atmosphere at Madison Square Garden figures to be intense.
Rangers coach Alain Vigneault was asked after this morning’s skate about where his team is at heading into tonight’s game and he feels like they’re in a good place despite being down.
“Chance-wise we’re right there with them,” Vigneault said. “We played some good hockey. We got a little bit unfortunate in that last third period. But, you know, we’re right there. We feel real good about our game. Going to be a great night to be hockey fans tonight.”
To say Rangers fans have been waiting for a while to be back on this stage is putting it lightly. A viewing of Game 1 in Bryant Park brought out over 10,000 fans and tickets on secondary markets like StubHub, as of this writing, start at $800.
If home ice advantage can’t give the Rangers a lift, they might have to deal with watching the Kings lift the Cup on their turf.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)