Jun 9, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
NEW YORK — Marian Gaborik had some good seasons when Madison Square Garden was his home ice. He scored 42 goals for the Rangers in 2009-10; he scored 41 in 2011-12.
Funny how things work out, tonight he’ll be back on MSG ice in the Stanley Cup Final, but as a member of the Rangers’ opponents. He could even be hoisting the Cup here this week, if the Kings win tonight and Wednesday.
For the 32-year-old who started his NHL career in Minnesota, it’s been a “long time coming” to play in the Cup final.
“I’ve been in the league since 2000,” he said. “When you get older maybe you appreciate it more, and I’m grateful to play in my first final. It makes it a little bit more special to play against the Rangers, that’s for sure.”
While many wondered if Gaborik’s sleek style would be a fit on a physical team like the Kings, he’s proven any doubters wrong, scoring 13 goals in these playoffs, four more than any other player has managed.
As for his old side, the Rangers?
“I think they’re a more balanced team,” he said. “They have a lot of speed, as they did before, but they’re a more balanced team and definitely they deserve to be in the finals.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 7
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)