Jun 9, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
NEW YORK — Marian Gaborik had some good seasons when Madison Square Garden was his home ice. He scored 42 goals for the Rangers in 2009-10; he scored 41 in 2011-12.
Funny how things work out, tonight he’ll be back on MSG ice in the Stanley Cup Final, but as a member of the Rangers’ opponents. He could even be hoisting the Cup here this week, if the Kings win tonight and Wednesday.
For the 32-year-old who started his NHL career in Minnesota, it’s been a “long time coming” to play in the Cup final.
“I’ve been in the league since 2000,” he said. “When you get older maybe you appreciate it more, and I’m grateful to play in my first final. It makes it a little bit more special to play against the Rangers, that’s for sure.”
While many wondered if Gaborik’s sleek style would be a fit on a physical team like the Kings, he’s proven any doubters wrong, scoring 13 goals in these playoffs, four more than any other player has managed.
As for his old side, the Rangers?
“I think they’re a more balanced team,” he said. “They have a lot of speed, as they did before, but they’re a more balanced team and definitely they deserve to be in the finals.”
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 0
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 12
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 5
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)