Jun 9, 2014, 1:14 PM EDT
NEW YORK — Marian Gaborik had some good seasons when Madison Square Garden was his home ice. He scored 42 goals for the Rangers in 2009-10; he scored 41 in 2011-12.
Funny how things work out, tonight he’ll be back on MSG ice in the Stanley Cup Final, but as a member of the Rangers’ opponents. He could even be hoisting the Cup here this week, if the Kings win tonight and Wednesday.
For the 32-year-old who started his NHL career in Minnesota, it’s been a “long time coming” to play in the Cup final.
“I’ve been in the league since 2000,” he said. “When you get older maybe you appreciate it more, and I’m grateful to play in my first final. It makes it a little bit more special to play against the Rangers, that’s for sure.”
While many wondered if Gaborik’s sleek style would be a fit on a physical team like the Kings, he’s proven any doubters wrong, scoring 13 goals in these playoffs, four more than any other player has managed.
As for his old side, the Rangers?
“I think they’re a more balanced team,” he said. “They have a lot of speed, as they did before, but they’re a more balanced team and definitely they deserve to be in the finals.”
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 0
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 22
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 12
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (45)