Jun 8, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Before the 2013-14 campaign started, Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury had taken a lot of heat for his recent performances in the playoffs. Former GM Ray Shero backed the goaltender and Fleury rewarded him with a solid showing in the 2014 postseason, even if it wasn’t enough to save the Penguins or, for that matter, Shero.
Now that Jim Rutherford has taken over as the team’s general manager, he’ll have to decide what to do with the future of the Penguins’ goaltending as the 29-year-old netminder only has one season left on his seven-year, $35 million contract.
“The one thing I’ll say about Fleury is this past season was the best season, the most consistent season he’s had over several seasons, probably over three or four seasons,” Rutherford said, per NHL.com. “Other than a couple of goals in the Columbus series, I thought his playoff series performance was fine, his regular season was fine and from an ability point of view he’s a very, very good goalie.
“Going back a couple years, I think the mental part of the game was difficult for him, and certainly it seems that whatever he did in last offseason has strengthened his position, and I see him as a guy that’ll build off of last season and be as good or better next year.”
Publicly praising one of your players is one thing, but will Rutherford throw his full support behind Fleury by inking him to a contract extension over the summer? Or would he rather wait to see how Fleury does in the 2015 playoffs before attempting to re-sign him?
One obvious factor is what Fleury will demand. He currently comes with a $5 million annual cap hit, but it wouldn’t be surprising if he seeks a raise given that he’s set to rank 14th among goalies in 2014-15 from a cap perspective and he’ll slip further once Ryan Miller signs.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT
RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.
Jun 30, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
So says his agent.
Jun 30, 2015, 2:41 PM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT
Cap hit around $5.75 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT
Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Who might be interested?
Jun 30, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT
Former Buffalo forward had three points in six playoff games for Montreal.
Jun 30, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Don Sweeney. Busy man.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 PM EDT
33-year-old had 14 goals and 38 points last year.
Jun 30, 2015, 12:13 PM EDT
Six goals in 57 games last season.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:53 AM EDT
More Boston news.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:43 AM EDT
The latest in an ongoing saga.
Jun 30, 2015, 11:11 AM EDT
Jun 30, 2015, 10:57 AM EDT
“This doesn’t keep me awake at night. Since the day we got Dougie Hamilton, I’ve had the best sleeps of the past few years. “
Jun 30, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
With Antti Raanta gone, he’s now set as the backup’s backup.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:24 AM EDT
26-year-old defenseman has missed just one game over the last two years.
Jun 30, 2015, 10:23 AM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $2.9 million.
Jun 30, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
They both finished in the top 10 in minutes in 2014-15.
Jun 30, 2015, 8:57 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut during the 2013-14 campaign before his career was derailed.
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 13
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 35
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 6
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 42
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 89
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)