Jun 8, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli and president Cam Neely has suggested that the team doesn’t require a significant overhaul, but it looks like they might still be “very active” on the trade market, according to CSN New England’s sources.
Although the Bruins have been very successful over the last four years, it might not be practical for them to proceed without making a significant trade or two. They’re in a somewhat difficult cap situation in part because Jarome Iginla‘s bonuses will eat into their 2014-15 budget as punishment for them exceeding the 2013-14 ceiling.
After factoring in that cap penalty and the savings they get from Marc Savard being on the long-term injured reserve list, Boston figures to have around $9 million in cap space with about a quarter of their roster still to fill.
With that in mind they might end up dealing forward Brad Marchand or defenseman Johnny Boychuk to get rid of their $4.5 million and roughly $3.7 million annual cap hits respectively. Doing so would make fitting potential free agent Iginla in under the cap a lot easier.
Regardless of what happens, the Bruins won’t look exactly the same in 2014-15 — no team ever does — but Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg just hopes that the changes are kept to a minimal.
“When you look at the whole regular season, which was a long time and a lot of games, you saw evidence of the guys being able to play well and dominate hockey games,” said Seidenberg. “In the playoffs, we just didn’t play our best hockey. That’s what you have to do in order to win rounds.
“I don’t think there’s a reason for big tweaks to the lineup, but that’s up to management. They have to do what they think is best. We’ll see, I guess.”
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
Sep 20, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
It’s his first chance to provide his argument for why he should make the team.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 17
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)