Jun 8, 2014, 1:13 PM EDT
Boston Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli and president Cam Neely has suggested that the team doesn’t require a significant overhaul, but it looks like they might still be “very active” on the trade market, according to CSN New England’s sources.
Although the Bruins have been very successful over the last four years, it might not be practical for them to proceed without making a significant trade or two. They’re in a somewhat difficult cap situation in part because Jarome Iginla‘s bonuses will eat into their 2014-15 budget as punishment for them exceeding the 2013-14 ceiling.
After factoring in that cap penalty and the savings they get from Marc Savard being on the long-term injured reserve list, Boston figures to have around $9 million in cap space with about a quarter of their roster still to fill.
With that in mind they might end up dealing forward Brad Marchand or defenseman Johnny Boychuk to get rid of their $4.5 million and roughly $3.7 million annual cap hits respectively. Doing so would make fitting potential free agent Iginla in under the cap a lot easier.
Regardless of what happens, the Bruins won’t look exactly the same in 2014-15 — no team ever does — but Bruins defenseman Dennis Seidenberg just hopes that the changes are kept to a minimal.
“When you look at the whole regular season, which was a long time and a lot of games, you saw evidence of the guys being able to play well and dominate hockey games,” said Seidenberg. “In the playoffs, we just didn’t play our best hockey. That’s what you have to do in order to win rounds.
“I don’t think there’s a reason for big tweaks to the lineup, but that’s up to management. They have to do what they think is best. We’ll see, I guess.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)