Jun 8, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Just how resilient are the Los Angeles Kings? So much so that they have arguably no equal in the history of the league.
Going into the Stanley Cup Final, they were already one of just four teams to ever overcome a 3-0 series deficit and the first team to advance to the finals after playing in the maximum 21 games over the first three rounds.
They added to that list of accomplishments last night when they, for the first time in NHL history, overcame a two-goal deficit for the third straight playoff game, per LA Kings Insider.
On top of that, they’re the first team to have 2-0 series edge in the Stanley Cup Final without holding a lead at any point during either game before its conclusion. They’re just the second squad to do that during any two-game stretch in the finals (the others being the 1951 Montreal Canadiens).
Incidentally, you’d have to go back to Game 6 of the Western Conference Final to find the last time the team had the lead. Their drought, and the term is used loosely given the results, has lasted 229:15 minutes.
Will they finally take a lead before the conclusion of a contest in Game 3 on Monday? If they do, will the Rangers be able to give them a taste of their own medicine, or will it simply add to New York’s woes?
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)