Jun 8, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Just how resilient are the Los Angeles Kings? So much so that they have arguably no equal in the history of the league.
Going into the Stanley Cup Final, they were already one of just four teams to ever overcome a 3-0 series deficit and the first team to advance to the finals after playing in the maximum 21 games over the first three rounds.
They added to that list of accomplishments last night when they, for the first time in NHL history, overcame a two-goal deficit for the third straight playoff game, per LA Kings Insider.
On top of that, they’re the first team to have 2-0 series edge in the Stanley Cup Final without holding a lead at any point during either game before its conclusion. They’re just the second squad to do that during any two-game stretch in the finals (the others being the 1951 Montreal Canadiens).
Incidentally, you’d have to go back to Game 6 of the Western Conference Final to find the last time the team had the lead. Their drought, and the term is used loosely given the results, has lasted 229:15 minutes.
Will they finally take a lead before the conclusion of a contest in Game 3 on Monday? If they do, will the Rangers be able to give them a taste of their own medicine, or will it simply add to New York’s woes?
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 0
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 47
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 22
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 17
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)