Jun 8, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT
It’s been over a month since Ron Francis made firing head coach Kirk Muller one of his first acts as the Carolina Hurricanes’ new general manager. Francis still hasn’t found his replacement and appears to be in no rush to come to a decision.
“I’m more focused on trying to be thorough and comfortable with the guy we get than get this behind me,” Francis said, per the News & Observer. He added that there are still people he wants to interview and that might include two guys that aren’t available yet.
Los Angeles Kings assistant coach John Stevens and New York Rangers assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson are both believed to be contenders for the job, but Francis can’t talk to either until the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Final, which could potentially end on Wednesday, but might last until June 18.
The fact that Francis’ old boss, new Pittsburgh Penguins GM Jim Rutherford, fired Dan Bylsma changed the landscape as well. Now there’s a Stanley Cup champion and Jack Adams winner available.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5