Jun 8, 2014, 12:08 PM EST
It’s been over a month since Ron Francis made firing head coach Kirk Muller one of his first acts as the Carolina Hurricanes’ new general manager. Francis still hasn’t found his replacement and appears to be in no rush to come to a decision.
“I’m more focused on trying to be thorough and comfortable with the guy we get than get this behind me,” Francis said, per the News & Observer. He added that there are still people he wants to interview and that might include two guys that aren’t available yet.
Los Angeles Kings assistant coach John Stevens and New York Rangers assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson are both believed to be contenders for the job, but Francis can’t talk to either until the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Final, which could potentially end on Wednesday, but might last until June 18.
The fact that Francis’ old boss, new Pittsburgh Penguins GM Jim Rutherford, fired Dan Bylsma changed the landscape as well. Now there’s a Stanley Cup champion and Jack Adams winner available.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)