Jun 8, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT
It’s been over a month since Ron Francis made firing head coach Kirk Muller one of his first acts as the Carolina Hurricanes’ new general manager. Francis still hasn’t found his replacement and appears to be in no rush to come to a decision.
“I’m more focused on trying to be thorough and comfortable with the guy we get than get this behind me,” Francis said, per the News & Observer. He added that there are still people he wants to interview and that might include two guys that aren’t available yet.
Los Angeles Kings assistant coach John Stevens and New York Rangers assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson are both believed to be contenders for the job, but Francis can’t talk to either until the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Final, which could potentially end on Wednesday, but might last until June 18.
The fact that Francis’ old boss, new Pittsburgh Penguins GM Jim Rutherford, fired Dan Bylsma changed the landscape as well. Now there’s a Stanley Cup champion and Jack Adams winner available.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 6
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)