Jun 8, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT
It’s been over a month since Ron Francis made firing head coach Kirk Muller one of his first acts as the Carolina Hurricanes’ new general manager. Francis still hasn’t found his replacement and appears to be in no rush to come to a decision.
“I’m more focused on trying to be thorough and comfortable with the guy we get than get this behind me,” Francis said, per the News & Observer. He added that there are still people he wants to interview and that might include two guys that aren’t available yet.
Los Angeles Kings assistant coach John Stevens and New York Rangers assistant coach Ulf Samuelsson are both believed to be contenders for the job, but Francis can’t talk to either until the conclusion of the Stanley Cup Final, which could potentially end on Wednesday, but might last until June 18.
The fact that Francis’ old boss, new Pittsburgh Penguins GM Jim Rutherford, fired Dan Bylsma changed the landscape as well. Now there’s a Stanley Cup champion and Jack Adams winner available.
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 19
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 14
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 32
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 45
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 50
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 28
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 10