Jun 8, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings sniper Marian Gaborik admits it: returning to Madison Square Garden – in Game 3 of the 2014 Stanley cup Final, no less – is a big deal.
“Yeah, that gives you extra jump. It’s my first time coming back to the Garden after I got traded,” Gaborik said. “I’m going to see the Garden after all the renovations for the first time, as well. You know, they have great fans. They’re going to be supporting them. We’re going to come out hard.”
He hasn’t played a game at Madison Square Garden since he was a member of the New York Rangers on April Fool’s Day in 2013. The Rangers traded him to the Columbus Blue Jackets in 2012-13, who then flipped him to the Kings before he got the chance to play a road game against New York.
Of course, Gaborik also mentions that he’s never met anyone who doesn’t enjoy playing at the famous arena, so perhaps the entire Kings team will get an “extra jump.” Justin Williams backs that thought up, for one.
“The Garden is one of my favorite places to play,” Williams said. “I know a lot of guys feel the same way, as well. It’s fun. Cup Final. Should be loud and exciting.”
During the regular season, the Rangers were 20-17-4 at home and 25-14-2 away while the Los Angeles Kings sported identical 23-14-4 marks at home and on the road. With all that in mind, it wouldn’t be surprising if a shift to Madison Square Garden doesn’t make a big difference on the ice.
Then again, considering the slender margin between victory and defeat so far in this series, a little extra jump could make a big difference.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)