Jun 8, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT
You can count Calgary Flames GM Brad Treliving among those who are actively showing an interest in the first pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He’s been in touch with Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon, who previously said that he would “definitely” shop the top pick.
“Now is the time that all of those conversations are happening,” Treliving told the NHL.com. “We’re going to keep pounding away and try to get a sense of what other teams are thinking. For the most part, teams have gotten through their meetings. They’ve done their preparation for the draft. The talk between managers is increasing. We’ll see where it goes.”
Calgary controls the fourth overall selection and the Toronto Maple Leafs, eighth overall, are also believed to be interested in moving up. As we previously discussed, it’s feasible that Tallon might actually trade down twice in order to maximize the Panthers’ haul.
Treliving has cautioned that he won’t go crazy trying to secure the top pick, but if he succeeds it will be the first time in the franchise’s history that they’ll get to pick first.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)