Jun 8, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT
You can count Calgary Flames GM Brad Treliving among those who are actively showing an interest in the first pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He’s been in touch with Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon, who previously said that he would “definitely” shop the top pick.
“Now is the time that all of those conversations are happening,” Treliving told the NHL.com. “We’re going to keep pounding away and try to get a sense of what other teams are thinking. For the most part, teams have gotten through their meetings. They’ve done their preparation for the draft. The talk between managers is increasing. We’ll see where it goes.”
Calgary controls the fourth overall selection and the Toronto Maple Leafs, eighth overall, are also believed to be interested in moving up. As we previously discussed, it’s feasible that Tallon might actually trade down twice in order to maximize the Panthers’ haul.
Treliving has cautioned that he won’t go crazy trying to secure the top pick, but if he succeeds it will be the first time in the franchise’s history that they’ll get to pick first.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 23
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 94
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 18
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)