Jun 8, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT
You can count Calgary Flames GM Brad Treliving among those who are actively showing an interest in the first pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He’s been in touch with Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon, who previously said that he would “definitely” shop the top pick.
“Now is the time that all of those conversations are happening,” Treliving told the NHL.com. “We’re going to keep pounding away and try to get a sense of what other teams are thinking. For the most part, teams have gotten through their meetings. They’ve done their preparation for the draft. The talk between managers is increasing. We’ll see where it goes.”
Calgary controls the fourth overall selection and the Toronto Maple Leafs, eighth overall, are also believed to be interested in moving up. As we previously discussed, it’s feasible that Tallon might actually trade down twice in order to maximize the Panthers’ haul.
Treliving has cautioned that he won’t go crazy trying to secure the top pick, but if he succeeds it will be the first time in the franchise’s history that they’ll get to pick first.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)