Jun 8, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT
You can count Calgary Flames GM Brad Treliving among those who are actively showing an interest in the first pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He’s been in touch with Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon, who previously said that he would “definitely” shop the top pick.
“Now is the time that all of those conversations are happening,” Treliving told the NHL.com. “We’re going to keep pounding away and try to get a sense of what other teams are thinking. For the most part, teams have gotten through their meetings. They’ve done their preparation for the draft. The talk between managers is increasing. We’ll see where it goes.”
Calgary controls the fourth overall selection and the Toronto Maple Leafs, eighth overall, are also believed to be interested in moving up. As we previously discussed, it’s feasible that Tallon might actually trade down twice in order to maximize the Panthers’ haul.
Treliving has cautioned that he won’t go crazy trying to secure the top pick, but if he succeeds it will be the first time in the franchise’s history that they’ll get to pick first.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)