Jun 8, 2014, 3:11 PM EDT
You can count Calgary Flames GM Brad Treliving among those who are actively showing an interest in the first pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft. He’s been in touch with Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon, who previously said that he would “definitely” shop the top pick.
“Now is the time that all of those conversations are happening,” Treliving told the NHL.com. “We’re going to keep pounding away and try to get a sense of what other teams are thinking. For the most part, teams have gotten through their meetings. They’ve done their preparation for the draft. The talk between managers is increasing. We’ll see where it goes.”
Calgary controls the fourth overall selection and the Toronto Maple Leafs, eighth overall, are also believed to be interested in moving up. As we previously discussed, it’s feasible that Tallon might actually trade down twice in order to maximize the Panthers’ haul.
Treliving has cautioned that he won’t go crazy trying to secure the top pick, but if he succeeds it will be the first time in the franchise’s history that they’ll get to pick first.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)