Jun 8, 2014, 12:48 AM EST
“I don’t give a [expletive] about underdogs,” Boyle said. “That’s ridiculous. Give me a break. We’re not. We’re here, too. We’re a good team. And we can’t take any solace [in two close games] because we lost.
“We came here to win games. It doesn’t matter how the hell we do it, we have to win the game. If you don’t win the game you didn’t do what you came to do and that’s the worst feeling there is.”
Other Rangers put a more positive spin on Saturday’s 5-4 double-overtime loss to the Kings, yet Boyle’s refusal to sugarcoat the loss might just be the honest reaction. After all, it’s pretty difficult to recover from losing two straight postseason games in which you had 2-0 leads.
Still, the Rangers get a chance to “hold serve” in this series by turning things around at Madison Square Garden. It’s a quick turnaround with Game 3 on Monday, so it’s probably ideal that it seems like there was plenty of optimism mixed in with the dejection.
Either way, the Rangers don’t have a long time to linger on these losses. We’ll find out soon enough if that ends up being a positive thing.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)