Jun 8, 2014, 12:48 AM EDT
“I don’t give a [expletive] about underdogs,” Boyle said. “That’s ridiculous. Give me a break. We’re not. We’re here, too. We’re a good team. And we can’t take any solace [in two close games] because we lost.
“We came here to win games. It doesn’t matter how the hell we do it, we have to win the game. If you don’t win the game you didn’t do what you came to do and that’s the worst feeling there is.”
Other Rangers put a more positive spin on Saturday’s 5-4 double-overtime loss to the Kings, yet Boyle’s refusal to sugarcoat the loss might just be the honest reaction. After all, it’s pretty difficult to recover from losing two straight postseason games in which you had 2-0 leads.
Still, the Rangers get a chance to “hold serve” in this series by turning things around at Madison Square Garden. It’s a quick turnaround with Game 3 on Monday, so it’s probably ideal that it seems like there was plenty of optimism mixed in with the dejection.
Either way, the Rangers don’t have a long time to linger on these losses. We’ll find out soon enough if that ends up being a positive thing.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)