Jun 8, 2014, 12:48 AM EDT
“I don’t give a [expletive] about underdogs,” Boyle said. “That’s ridiculous. Give me a break. We’re not. We’re here, too. We’re a good team. And we can’t take any solace [in two close games] because we lost.
“We came here to win games. It doesn’t matter how the hell we do it, we have to win the game. If you don’t win the game you didn’t do what you came to do and that’s the worst feeling there is.”
Other Rangers put a more positive spin on Saturday’s 5-4 double-overtime loss to the Kings, yet Boyle’s refusal to sugarcoat the loss might just be the honest reaction. After all, it’s pretty difficult to recover from losing two straight postseason games in which you had 2-0 leads.
Still, the Rangers get a chance to “hold serve” in this series by turning things around at Madison Square Garden. It’s a quick turnaround with Game 3 on Monday, so it’s probably ideal that it seems like there was plenty of optimism mixed in with the dejection.
Ryan McDonagh: "We realize what's at stake. The series isn't over yet. They have a 2-0 lead but we're going home. We're excited."—
Andrew Gross (@AGrossRecord) June 08, 2014
Either way, the Rangers don’t have a long time to linger on these losses. We’ll find out soon enough if that ends up being a positive thing.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 7
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 8
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 23
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 54
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 2
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 60
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (60)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)