Jun 7, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
It’s an important offseason for the Phoenix (soon-to-be Arizona) Coyotes.
After missing the playoffs the past two seasons, GM Don Maloney will have his hands full trying to help the team rebound and get back into the mix in a heavily competitive Pacific Division. As Sarah McLellan of AZCentral.com shares, Maloney is hoping for a couple forms of help this summer including a juicier budget.
“I need (a budget) now, not July 15, because it really does impact what we’re going to do,” Maloney said.
Coyotes owner Anthony LeBlanc said he thought they had a competitive budget last season and the league’s financial success should allow them to spend a little more, but they’re not going to be a salary cap team.
Maloney is also in search of a new Assistant GM following Brad Treliving’s departure to Calgary for their GM position. As Craig Morgan of Fox Sports Arizona shares, Maloney has one person in mind for the position but if they don’t accept he has a list of four or five other names to pursue.
- BREAKING: Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 5
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 19
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 9
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 2
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 49
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)