Jun 7, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
It’s an important offseason for the Phoenix (soon-to-be Arizona) Coyotes.
After missing the playoffs the past two seasons, GM Don Maloney will have his hands full trying to help the team rebound and get back into the mix in a heavily competitive Pacific Division. As Sarah McLellan of AZCentral.com shares, Maloney is hoping for a couple forms of help this summer including a juicier budget.
“I need (a budget) now, not July 15, because it really does impact what we’re going to do,” Maloney said.
Coyotes owner Anthony LeBlanc said he thought they had a competitive budget last season and the league’s financial success should allow them to spend a little more, but they’re not going to be a salary cap team.
Maloney is also in search of a new Assistant GM following Brad Treliving’s departure to Calgary for their GM position. As Craig Morgan of Fox Sports Arizona shares, Maloney has one person in mind for the position but if they don’t accept he has a list of four or five other names to pursue.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)