Jun 7, 2014, 10:06 PM EDT
For most teams, a deficit can be an imposing thing to deal with. The Los Angeles Kings almost seem to feed off of that tension. The New York Rangers might just be haunted by “2-0″ if they can’t fight through what is currently a 4-4 tie heading into overtime.
Much like Game 1, the Rangers built a 2-0 lead in the first period. The Kings fought back to within one goal twice in the middle frame, yet New York entered the third period up 4-2. As has been usual, the Kings didn’t flinch under significant playoff pressure.
After a controversial goal by Dwight King, it seemed like it would only be a matter of time before Game 2 ended up being tied. Marian Gaborik didn’t disappoint with the 4-4 tally, which came less than six minutes after King made it 4-3:
NBC flashed a great infographic that captures how tough it’s been to put away L.A.:
- They came back from 2+ goals down in the last three games and four times in the last five contests.
- Overall, they’ve overcome five two-goal deficits in these playoffs, resulting in three wins.
The Rangers are 10-0 in these playoffs when carrying a lead into the third period. That margin is gone, yet they can still stay undefeated in such situations if they can manage to win. Considering the Kings’ prowess with their backs against the wall, New York might be better off in a sudden death situation.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 25
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 23
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 36
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (68)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)