Jun 7, 2014, 10:06 PM EDT
For most teams, a deficit can be an imposing thing to deal with. The Los Angeles Kings almost seem to feed off of that tension. The New York Rangers might just be haunted by “2-0″ if they can’t fight through what is currently a 4-4 tie heading into overtime.
Much like Game 1, the Rangers built a 2-0 lead in the first period. The Kings fought back to within one goal twice in the middle frame, yet New York entered the third period up 4-2. As has been usual, the Kings didn’t flinch under significant playoff pressure.
After a controversial goal by Dwight King, it seemed like it would only be a matter of time before Game 2 ended up being tied. Marian Gaborik didn’t disappoint with the 4-4 tally, which came less than six minutes after King made it 4-3:
NBC flashed a great infographic that captures how tough it’s been to put away L.A.:
- They came back from 2+ goals down in the last three games and four times in the last five contests.
- Overall, they’ve overcome five two-goal deficits in these playoffs, resulting in three wins.
The Rangers are 10-0 in these playoffs when carrying a lead into the third period. That margin is gone, yet they can still stay undefeated in such situations if they can manage to win. Considering the Kings’ prowess with their backs against the wall, New York might be better off in a sudden death situation.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 9
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 8
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 32
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)