Jun 7, 2014, 10:06 PM EDT
For most teams, a deficit can be an imposing thing to deal with. The Los Angeles Kings almost seem to feed off of that tension. The New York Rangers might just be haunted by “2-0″ if they can’t fight through what is currently a 4-4 tie heading into overtime.
Much like Game 1, the Rangers built a 2-0 lead in the first period. The Kings fought back to within one goal twice in the middle frame, yet New York entered the third period up 4-2. As has been usual, the Kings didn’t flinch under significant playoff pressure.
After a controversial goal by Dwight King, it seemed like it would only be a matter of time before Game 2 ended up being tied. Marian Gaborik didn’t disappoint with the 4-4 tally, which came less than six minutes after King made it 4-3:
NBC flashed a great infographic that captures how tough it’s been to put away L.A.:
- They came back from 2+ goals down in the last three games and four times in the last five contests.
- Overall, they’ve overcome five two-goal deficits in these playoffs, resulting in three wins.
The Rangers are 10-0 in these playoffs when carrying a lead into the third period. That margin is gone, yet they can still stay undefeated in such situations if they can manage to win. Considering the Kings’ prowess with their backs against the wall, New York might be better off in a sudden death situation.
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 17
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 37
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 7
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 44
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 105
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)