Jun 7, 2014, 10:06 PM EDT
For most teams, a deficit can be an imposing thing to deal with. The Los Angeles Kings almost seem to feed off of that tension. The New York Rangers might just be haunted by “2-0” if they can’t fight through what is currently a 4-4 tie heading into overtime.
Much like Game 1, the Rangers built a 2-0 lead in the first period. The Kings fought back to within one goal twice in the middle frame, yet New York entered the third period up 4-2. As has been usual, the Kings didn’t flinch under significant playoff pressure.
After a controversial goal by Dwight King, it seemed like it would only be a matter of time before Game 2 ended up being tied. Marian Gaborik didn’t disappoint with the 4-4 tally, which came less than six minutes after King made it 4-3:
NBC flashed a great infographic that captures how tough it’s been to put away L.A.:
- They came back from 2+ goals down in the last three games and four times in the last five contests.
- Overall, they’ve overcome five two-goal deficits in these playoffs, resulting in three wins.
The Rangers are 10-0 in these playoffs when carrying a lead into the third period. That margin is gone, yet they can still stay undefeated in such situations if they can manage to win. Considering the Kings’ prowess with their backs against the wall, New York might be better off in a sudden death situation.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)