Jun 7, 2014, 10:06 PM EDT
For most teams, a deficit can be an imposing thing to deal with. The Los Angeles Kings almost seem to feed off of that tension. The New York Rangers might just be haunted by “2-0″ if they can’t fight through what is currently a 4-4 tie heading into overtime.
Much like Game 1, the Rangers built a 2-0 lead in the first period. The Kings fought back to within one goal twice in the middle frame, yet New York entered the third period up 4-2. As has been usual, the Kings didn’t flinch under significant playoff pressure.
After a controversial goal by Dwight King, it seemed like it would only be a matter of time before Game 2 ended up being tied. Marian Gaborik didn’t disappoint with the 4-4 tally, which came less than six minutes after King made it 4-3:
NBC flashed a great infographic that captures how tough it’s been to put away L.A.:
- They came back from 2+ goals down in the last three games and four times in the last five contests.
- Overall, they’ve overcome five two-goal deficits in these playoffs, resulting in three wins.
The Rangers are 10-0 in these playoffs when carrying a lead into the third period. That margin is gone, yet they can still stay undefeated in such situations if they can manage to win. Considering the Kings’ prowess with their backs against the wall, New York might be better off in a sudden death situation.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 6
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)