Jun 7, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings are loaded with depth, a fact we’ve all been once again reminded of during these Stanley Cup playoffs. They’re loaded with reliable players throughout their lineup, with four players in the top five right now in post-season scoring.
Jeff Carter, with nine goals and 23 points, is second in that category, behind teammate Anze Kopitar. His numbers have been impressive, but Kings head coach Darryl Sutter praised Carter for his leadership as well, a mentor to younger, up-and-coming players like Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson.
Sutter also compared the big center to his teammate Mike Richards, subject to buyout speculation even though the Kings are three wins away from a Stanley Cup championship. Together, Carter and Richards were also part of L.A.’s 2012 team that took the silver chalice in dominating fashion.
Carter’s production during the regular season was well below a point-per-game average – a mark he hasn’t matched or gone over since 2008-09 in Philadelphia. He’s had individual success in each of the previous two post-seasons, but has broken out in a big way in 2014. And it’s not over yet.
“I think he’s sort of like Mike, where they just win. You can count on them all the time,” Sutter told reporters.
“Really great practice player. Well-trained guy. Takes care of himself. It’s funny, when you ask about that for Toffoli and Pearson, that’s a perfect role model for them.”
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)