Jun 7, 2014, 12:30 AM EDT
The L.A. Kings are loaded with depth, a fact we’ve all been once again reminded of during these Stanley Cup playoffs. They’re loaded with reliable players throughout their lineup, with four players in the top five right now in post-season scoring.
Jeff Carter, with nine goals and 23 points, is second in that category, behind teammate Anze Kopitar. His numbers have been impressive, but Kings head coach Darryl Sutter praised Carter for his leadership as well, a mentor to younger, up-and-coming players like Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson.
Sutter also compared the big center to his teammate Mike Richards, subject to buyout speculation even though the Kings are three wins away from a Stanley Cup championship. Together, Carter and Richards were also part of L.A.’s 2012 team that took the silver chalice in dominating fashion.
Carter’s production during the regular season was well below a point-per-game average – a mark he hasn’t matched or gone over since 2008-09 in Philadelphia. He’s had individual success in each of the previous two post-seasons, but has broken out in a big way in 2014. And it’s not over yet.
“I think he’s sort of like Mike, where they just win. You can count on them all the time,” Sutter told reporters.
“Really great practice player. Well-trained guy. Takes care of himself. It’s funny, when you ask about that for Toffoli and Pearson, that’s a perfect role model for them.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)