Jun 7, 2014, 12:30 AM EST
The L.A. Kings are loaded with depth, a fact we’ve all been once again reminded of during these Stanley Cup playoffs. They’re loaded with reliable players throughout their lineup, with four players in the top five right now in post-season scoring.
Jeff Carter, with nine goals and 23 points, is second in that category, behind teammate Anze Kopitar. His numbers have been impressive, but Kings head coach Darryl Sutter praised Carter for his leadership as well, a mentor to younger, up-and-coming players like Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson.
Sutter also compared the big center to his teammate Mike Richards, subject to buyout speculation even though the Kings are three wins away from a Stanley Cup championship. Together, Carter and Richards were also part of L.A.’s 2012 team that took the silver chalice in dominating fashion.
Carter’s production during the regular season was well below a point-per-game average – a mark he hasn’t matched or gone over since 2008-09 in Philadelphia. He’s had individual success in each of the previous two post-seasons, but has broken out in a big way in 2014. And it’s not over yet.
“I think he’s sort of like Mike, where they just win. You can count on them all the time,” Sutter told reporters.
“Really great practice player. Well-trained guy. Takes care of himself. It’s funny, when you ask about that for Toffoli and Pearson, that’s a perfect role model for them.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 15
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 110
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (111)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)