Jun 7, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
The trade speculation swirling around San Jose Sharks captain Joe Thornton has taken a turn for the dramatic and that’s all about who he’s being linked to.
Mike Zeisberger of the Toronto Sun reports the Toronto Maple Leafs have taken a shine to Jumbo Joe and they’re not alone. Zeisberger says at least six teams have taken an interest in the 35-year-old center.
Kessel and van Riemsdyk put up monster numbers this season with Tyler Bozak centering them. Van Riemsdyk had career-highs in goals (30) and points (61). The thought of having Thornton, who was second in the league in assists this season with 65, setting those two up could be enough to tickle GM Dave Nonis into action.
The Maple Leafs are also intriguing for this talk as they’ve got a pair of young players who might be readily available to be moved in defenseman Jake Gardiner and center Nazem Kadri. Both players had great numbers last season as well but may not be agreeable to coach Randy Carlyle’s system.
It’s idle speculation for now but the Sharks appear set to deal Thornton, who has a no-movement clause, and the Maple Leafs are ready to deal with just about anyone to improve the team.
The biggest issue here could be the age discrepancy between Thornton and the Leafs pair who each 23. Giving up youth for experience is a dangerous gamble.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 0
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 4
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 19
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 33
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 4
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)