Jun 7, 2014, 9:41 AM EDT
Game 2 of the Stanley Cup Final drops the puck tonight at Staples Center in Los Angeles. The Kings would like to replicate the success they had on Wednesday night but with a few more pucks getting past Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist.
The Rangers, meanwhile, hope Lundqvist can hold down the fort just as strong while the rest of the team uses their speed and skill to send the series to New York knotted up at a game apiece.
Game 2: Los Angeles Kings vs. New York Rangers [Los Angeles leads series 1-0] (7:00 p.m. ET — NBC)
One thing the Kings were able to do in Game 1 was dominate in shots on goal. In all they put 43 shots on Lundqvist and thoroughly dominated the third period outshooting the Rangers 20-3.
With that brand of puck control and the quality of scorers the Kings have up front and on the blue line, chances were good they were going to find a way to come out on top. If Los Angeles has their puck control game going strong again, the Rangers could be in for another long night.
The Rangers want to change that up. Coach Alain Vigneault, in essence, called out his team saying they can’t bring their “B” game against L.A. While that means finding ways to turn the game and the shot counter against the Kings, it also means getting stronger games from guys like Rick Nash, Derek Stepan, Martin St. Louis, and Brad Richards.
Part of solving that issue is finding ways to get Stepan’s line with Nash and Chris Kreider away from Anze Kopitar. The Kings’ Selke Trophy candidate more or less shadowed Stepan in Game 1. Kopitar with Dustin Brown and Marian Gaborik have been very effective at both ends of the ice and the Rangers have to find a way to get their skill guys away from them.
Thing to watch for: The Rangers’ speed game. One thing that threw the Kings off in Game 1 was how fast many of the Rangers forwards were, especially Kreider and Carl Hagelin. Can Vigneault find a way to use that to their advantage in Game 2 or will Darryl Sutter already have a solution plotted for his defense?
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 20
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 23
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)