Jun 7, 2014, 6:21 PM EST
Given I wrote a couple of weeks ago that the Pittsburgh Penguins should explore trading defenseman Kris Letang, I was curious what new general manager Jim Rutherford would have to say about the player.
Well, here’s what Rutherford said (yesterday on 93.7 The Fan): “He’s a very talented player. He prepares himself properly, and he’s a guy that can play big minutes. You need that type of player. It’s hard for me to answer some of these questions, because I look at this team from a distance. … But I like Kris Letang. I think he’s a very good player.”
Nothing too substantial there, but worth passing on nonetheless. “You need that type of player” was probably the key point. As I noted in my original post, the Pens would have to have a good plan to replace Letang’s minutes if they did explore trading him, and that’s easier said than done.
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 4
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2
- Crosby back for Pens after missing three games with the mumps 1
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 9
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 2
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 24
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11