Jun 7, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
Given I wrote a couple of weeks ago that the Pittsburgh Penguins should explore trading defenseman Kris Letang, I was curious what new general manager Jim Rutherford would have to say about the player.
Well, here’s what Rutherford said (yesterday on 93.7 The Fan): “He’s a very talented player. He prepares himself properly, and he’s a guy that can play big minutes. You need that type of player. It’s hard for me to answer some of these questions, because I look at this team from a distance. … But I like Kris Letang. I think he’s a very good player.”
Nothing too substantial there, but worth passing on nonetheless. “You need that type of player” was probably the key point. As I noted in my original post, the Pens would have to have a good plan to replace Letang’s minutes if they did explore trading him, and that’s easier said than done.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5