Jun 7, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT
Given I wrote a couple of weeks ago that the Pittsburgh Penguins should explore trading defenseman Kris Letang, I was curious what new general manager Jim Rutherford would have to say about the player.
Well, here’s what Rutherford said (yesterday on 93.7 The Fan): “He’s a very talented player. He prepares himself properly, and he’s a guy that can play big minutes. You need that type of player. It’s hard for me to answer some of these questions, because I look at this team from a distance. … But I like Kris Letang. I think he’s a very good player.”
Nothing too substantial there, but worth passing on nonetheless. “You need that type of player” was probably the key point. As I noted in my original post, the Pens would have to have a good plan to replace Letang’s minutes if they did explore trading him, and that’s easier said than done.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22