Jun 7, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
When the Los Angeles Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2012, their success on the penalty kill was a key part of that. This time around, they haven’t been nearly as good shorthanded and captain Dustin Brown has an idea why.
As Jon Rosen of L.A. Kings Insider shared, Brown believes rhythm and chemistry are key to the Kings PK.
“I think when you get into penalty kills, it’s more about rhythm,” Brown said. “Me and [Anze Kopitar] have PKed together for five, six, seven years and it makes a big, big difference. I think you’ve seen some of the goals we’ve given up this year in the playoffs in particular, sometimes it’s with guys that haven’t PKed together. And there is just that little indecision. Everyone is capable.”
The Kings went 3-for-3 on the kill in Game 1 but have killed penalties 81.9 percent of the time in the postseason (15 goals allowed on 83 power plays). Compare that to their 92.1 percent rate in the 2012 playoffs and you’ve potentially got a big weakness.
Add in that the Kings haven’t scored a shorthanded goal in the postseason and that’s a lot of time shorthanded. Much like most of their postseason, L.A. has been streaky killing off penalties. Now they have to hope they’ve figured out something that works and stays that way.
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 0
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 21
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 35
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)