Jun 7, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
When the Los Angeles Kings won the Stanley Cup in 2012, their success on the penalty kill was a key part of that. This time around, they haven’t been nearly as good shorthanded and captain Dustin Brown has an idea why.
As Jon Rosen of L.A. Kings Insider shared, Brown believes rhythm and chemistry are key to the Kings PK.
“I think when you get into penalty kills, it’s more about rhythm,” Brown said. “Me and [Anze Kopitar] have PKed together for five, six, seven years and it makes a big, big difference. I think you’ve seen some of the goals we’ve given up this year in the playoffs in particular, sometimes it’s with guys that haven’t PKed together. And there is just that little indecision. Everyone is capable.”
The Kings went 3-for-3 on the kill in Game 1 but have killed penalties 81.9 percent of the time in the postseason (15 goals allowed on 83 power plays). Compare that to their 92.1 percent rate in the 2012 playoffs and you’ve potentially got a big weakness.
Add in that the Kings haven’t scored a shorthanded goal in the postseason and that’s a lot of time shorthanded. Much like most of their postseason, L.A. has been streaky killing off penalties. Now they have to hope they’ve figured out something that works and stays that way.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)