Jun 6, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
There are plenty of teams interested in adding an offensively gifted right-handed shooting defenseman, but the pickings are already starting to thin.
Both of those blueliners are 37 years old though (Boyle will turn 38 in July). If you want an offensively gifted defenseman still in the prime of his career, it looks like you’ll only have one option this summer: Niskanen.
There are reasons to be concerned about him. After recording 35 points in 2008-09, Niskanen regressed offensively and struggled for years to regain his footing. It was during this period that the Dallas Stars traded him to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
It wasn’t until this season that he really started to turn his career around as Niskanen finally broke out with 10 goals and 46 points in 81 games. Still, that all translates to him breaching the 30-point mark just twice in seven career seasons. With the market likely to go crazy for him given the lack of options, he will likely sign a massive long-term contract that will look very troubling if his 2013-14 success isn’t replicated.
That’s assuming of course that Niskanen makes it to the free agent period in the first place, which frankly seems like a safe bet. Although Niskanen hinted at the possibility of taking a hometown discount back in October, after his breakout season the Penguins have still likely been priced out of the market.
Pittsburgh already owes roughly $60 million in cap obligations to 14 players, per Cap Geek, so adding Niskanen on top of that would only further degrade its ability to assemble a team with some decent depth. Unless, of course, the Penguins decide to sign Niskanen and trade Kris Letang.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5