Jun 6, 2014, 9:04 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
There are plenty of teams interested in adding an offensively gifted right-handed shooting defenseman, but the pickings are already starting to thin.
Both of those blueliners are 37 years old though (Boyle will turn 38 in July). If you want an offensively gifted defenseman still in the prime of his career, it looks like you’ll only have one option this summer: Niskanen.
There are reasons to be concerned about him. After recording 35 points in 2008-09, Niskanen regressed offensively and struggled for years to regain his footing. It was during this period that the Dallas Stars traded him to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
It wasn’t until this season that he really started to turn his career around as Niskanen finally broke out with 10 goals and 46 points in 81 games. Still, that all translates to him breaching the 30-point mark just twice in seven career seasons. With the market likely to go crazy for him given the lack of options, he will likely sign a massive long-term contract that will look very troubling if his 2013-14 success isn’t replicated.
That’s assuming of course that Niskanen makes it to the free agent period in the first place, which frankly seems like a safe bet. Although Niskanen hinted at the possibility of taking a hometown discount back in October, after his breakout season the Penguins have still likely been priced out of the market.
Pittsburgh already owes roughly $60 million in cap obligations to 14 players, per Cap Geek, so adding Niskanen on top of that would only further degrade its ability to assemble a team with some decent depth. Unless, of course, the Penguins decide to sign Niskanen and trade Kris Letang.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 17
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 13
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 36
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)