Jun 6, 2014, 1:33 AM EST
He’s got six years remaining in a massive 12-year, $69 million deal, according to Capgeek.com, that he signed when he was still a member of the Philadelphia Flyers. Yet, he’s only scored twice in these playoffs, and has nine points in 22 post-season games, including Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
He’s also averaging just over 15 minutes of ice time in these playoffs. So, given his stats and his salary, it’s easy to look to him as a buyout possibility. But Kings head coach Darryl Sutter doesn’t seem to buy into it. Richards also has a track record for winning, whether it’s in the NHL, or for Team Canada in the Olympic and World Junior Championships, or in the Ontario Hockey League.
And the Kings are now three wins away from winning the Stanley Cup for the second time in three years.
“I don’t think it’s very hard at all when you have a good relationship with players and you’ve had a track record of winning with those players. That player has a track record of winning and for sure understanding what his role is. Basically he just wins,” Sutter told reporters.
“He’s had to accept roles. Doesn’t matter if you think he’s a first line centerman or second line centerman. The only reward for somebody like Mike Richards in all this is just winning. He’s all set. He’s won everything. It’s just winning again, that’s all.”
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 54
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)