Jun 6, 2014, 1:33 AM EDT
He’s got six years remaining in a massive 12-year, $69 million deal, according to Capgeek.com, that he signed when he was still a member of the Philadelphia Flyers. Yet, he’s only scored twice in these playoffs, and has nine points in 22 post-season games, including Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
He’s also averaging just over 15 minutes of ice time in these playoffs. So, given his stats and his salary, it’s easy to look to him as a buyout possibility. But Kings head coach Darryl Sutter doesn’t seem to buy into it. Richards also has a track record for winning, whether it’s in the NHL, or for Team Canada in the Olympic and World Junior Championships, or in the Ontario Hockey League.
And the Kings are now three wins away from winning the Stanley Cup for the second time in three years.
“I don’t think it’s very hard at all when you have a good relationship with players and you’ve had a track record of winning with those players. That player has a track record of winning and for sure understanding what his role is. Basically he just wins,” Sutter told reporters.
“He’s had to accept roles. Doesn’t matter if you think he’s a first line centerman or second line centerman. The only reward for somebody like Mike Richards in all this is just winning. He’s all set. He’s won everything. It’s just winning again, that’s all.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)