Jun 6, 2014, 1:33 AM EDT
He’s got six years remaining in a massive 12-year, $69 million deal, according to Capgeek.com, that he signed when he was still a member of the Philadelphia Flyers. Yet, he’s only scored twice in these playoffs, and has nine points in 22 post-season games, including Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
He’s also averaging just over 15 minutes of ice time in these playoffs. So, given his stats and his salary, it’s easy to look to him as a buyout possibility. But Kings head coach Darryl Sutter doesn’t seem to buy into it. Richards also has a track record for winning, whether it’s in the NHL, or for Team Canada in the Olympic and World Junior Championships, or in the Ontario Hockey League.
And the Kings are now three wins away from winning the Stanley Cup for the second time in three years.
“I don’t think it’s very hard at all when you have a good relationship with players and you’ve had a track record of winning with those players. That player has a track record of winning and for sure understanding what his role is. Basically he just wins,” Sutter told reporters.
“He’s had to accept roles. Doesn’t matter if you think he’s a first line centerman or second line centerman. The only reward for somebody like Mike Richards in all this is just winning. He’s all set. He’s won everything. It’s just winning again, that’s all.”
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 25
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 26
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 40
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)