Jun 6, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
At the age of 24, Drew Doughty can be trusted with more than 25 minutes per game in the regular season and over 27 minutes in the playoffs. He’s established himself as a cornerstone of one of the most successful franchises in recent history and is a Conn Smythe Trophy candidate.
Kings coach Darryl Sutter doesn’t think Doughty has even come close to reaching his peak though.
“When you do all the analytics on athletes, he’s a long ways from being as good as he’s going to be, just because of his age,” Sutter said, per LA Kings Insider.
What does Sutter see Doughty improving on in the future? Basically every aspect of the game.
“You learn to manage your ice time better,” he said, “you learn to manage what’s going on on the ice, you become a better shot selection guy, you become a better penalty killer, you become a better power play guy, you learn the league better, you learn players on the other team better, you learn nuances of star players, you learn to handle the schedule better in terms of your practice habits and your nutrition and what you do on game days, all that stuff.
“What can you do better? As I said, there’s a big difference between being 25 and 35.”
Doughty is fighting for his second Stanley Cup championship to go along with his two Olympic gold medals. His accomplishments don’t include winning the Norris Trophy yet, but that might change in the coming years.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)