Jun 6, 2014, 3:19 PM EST
To say Cory Schneider has waited patiently to become a full-time NHL starter would be an understatement. Now 28 years old, and with the ability to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, it doesn’t sound like he’s willing to go through another goalie soap opera, like the one he endured in Vancouver with Roberto Luongo, or the one he was traded into when he was dealt last summer to New Jersey, where Devils legend Martin Brodeur was still employed.
Per The Star-Ledger, Schneider wants assurances that he’s the undisputed No. 1 before he signs a contract extension with the Devils.
“It’s a discussion about if they want me to be the guy going forward, we have to figure out that part of it,” Schneider told the paper.
“I’m probably 50 or 75 games short of where I would have liked to be as far as career games-played. That’s a result of splitting the time in goal in Vancouver as well as last year. I was hoping to step into that (No. 1 role) maybe a little earlier.”
Among active goalies with at least 100 NHL starts, only Boston’s Tuukka Rask has a higher career save percentage (.928) than Schneider (.925).
Back in April, Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said that getting Schneider signed to an extension was “right on the top of” of his to-do list.
Brodeur is a pending UFA. The 42-year-old has said he’s ready to test free agency if the Devils don’t want him back.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 54
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)