Jun 6, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
To say Cory Schneider has waited patiently to become a full-time NHL starter would be an understatement. Now 28 years old, and with the ability to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, it doesn’t sound like he’s willing to go through another goalie soap opera, like the one he endured in Vancouver with Roberto Luongo, or the one he was traded into when he was dealt last summer to New Jersey, where Devils legend Martin Brodeur was still employed.
Per The Star-Ledger, Schneider wants assurances that he’s the undisputed No. 1 before he signs a contract extension with the Devils.
“It’s a discussion about if they want me to be the guy going forward, we have to figure out that part of it,” Schneider told the paper.
“I’m probably 50 or 75 games short of where I would have liked to be as far as career games-played. That’s a result of splitting the time in goal in Vancouver as well as last year. I was hoping to step into that (No. 1 role) maybe a little earlier.”
Among active goalies with at least 100 NHL starts, only Boston’s Tuukka Rask has a higher career save percentage (.928) than Schneider (.925).
Back in April, Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said that getting Schneider signed to an extension was “right on the top of” of his to-do list.
Brodeur is a pending UFA. The 42-year-old has said he’s ready to test free agency if the Devils don’t want him back.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)