Jun 6, 2014, 3:19 PM EST
To say Cory Schneider has waited patiently to become a full-time NHL starter would be an understatement. Now 28 years old, and with the ability to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, it doesn’t sound like he’s willing to go through another goalie soap opera, like the one he endured in Vancouver with Roberto Luongo, or the one he was traded into when he was dealt last summer to New Jersey, where Devils legend Martin Brodeur was still employed.
Per The Star-Ledger, Schneider wants assurances that he’s the undisputed No. 1 before he signs a contract extension with the Devils.
“It’s a discussion about if they want me to be the guy going forward, we have to figure out that part of it,” Schneider told the paper.
“I’m probably 50 or 75 games short of where I would have liked to be as far as career games-played. That’s a result of splitting the time in goal in Vancouver as well as last year. I was hoping to step into that (No. 1 role) maybe a little earlier.”
Among active goalies with at least 100 NHL starts, only Boston’s Tuukka Rask has a higher career save percentage (.928) than Schneider (.925).
Back in April, Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said that getting Schneider signed to an extension was “right on the top of” of his to-do list.
Brodeur is a pending UFA. The 42-year-old has said he’s ready to test free agency if the Devils don’t want him back.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2