Jun 6, 2014, 3:19 PM EDT
To say Cory Schneider has waited patiently to become a full-time NHL starter would be an understatement. Now 28 years old, and with the ability to become an unrestricted free agent next summer, it doesn’t sound like he’s willing to go through another goalie soap opera, like the one he endured in Vancouver with Roberto Luongo, or the one he was traded into when he was dealt last summer to New Jersey, where Devils legend Martin Brodeur was still employed.
Per The Star-Ledger, Schneider wants assurances that he’s the undisputed No. 1 before he signs a contract extension with the Devils.
“It’s a discussion about if they want me to be the guy going forward, we have to figure out that part of it,” Schneider told the paper.
“I’m probably 50 or 75 games short of where I would have liked to be as far as career games-played. That’s a result of splitting the time in goal in Vancouver as well as last year. I was hoping to step into that (No. 1 role) maybe a little earlier.”
Among active goalies with at least 100 NHL starts, only Boston’s Tuukka Rask has a higher career save percentage (.928) than Schneider (.925).
Back in April, Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said that getting Schneider signed to an extension was “right on the top of” of his to-do list.
Brodeur is a pending UFA. The 42-year-old has said he’s ready to test free agency if the Devils don’t want him back.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)