Jun 6, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Even with a massive change in management in Vancouver, with the hiring of Trevor Linden and Jim Benning, it appears Ryan Kesler is still seeking a trade from the Canucks. At least that’s according to TSN’s Darren Dreger speaking on Insider Trading.
“Ryan Kesler hasn’t changed his mind. He wants a fresh start and to move on from Vancouver; he met with Benning earlier this week to talk about that. It’s believed that Kesler still has six teams on his list that he’s willing to be traded to. And we think that Philadelphia and Anaheim are among those,” Dreger reported, as per TSN.ca.
It was reported during the Olympics in February that Kesler had demanded a trade out of Vancouver, however he later denied those reports. Still, the rumours began circulating like mad that the Canucks were shopping the speedy center in the lead up to the March trade deadline, yet he remained with the team for the remainder of the regular season.
Benning, hired last month as the club’s new general manager, said at his introductory press conference that he was hoping to speak with the 29-year-old Kesler prior to the NHL Draft about his future with the club and to get a sense of what his player wanted. As per Capgeek.com, Kesler still has two seasons remaining on a six-year deal worth $30 million and a $5 million cap hit.
“He’s a warrior. Every night he comes to the rink and he plays hard. He’s a good skater, he’s a big-body guy. He’s physical,” said Benning.
We also may see what kind of return the Canucks could get for the 2011 Selke Trophy winner.
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 9
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 1
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 10
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 18
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 21
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 36
- Report: Johansen, Blue Jackets talking contract 7
- NHL waiting on World Cup announcement, Olympics decision 9
- Leiweke calls out ‘just terrible’ character of certain players in Leafs organization 30
- Crosby: Pens must ‘find a way to get over that hump’ 13
- Will future tweaks be enough to salvage NHL 15? (50)
- This Darcy Kuemper-Minnesota Wild situation doesn’t sound good (40)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker (39)
- The KHL’s really trying to mow Minnesota’s lawn (38)