Jun 6, 2014, 10:30 PM EDT
Even with a massive change in management in Vancouver, with the hiring of Trevor Linden and Jim Benning, it appears Ryan Kesler is still seeking a trade from the Canucks. At least that’s according to TSN’s Darren Dreger speaking on Insider Trading.
“Ryan Kesler hasn’t changed his mind. He wants a fresh start and to move on from Vancouver; he met with Benning earlier this week to talk about that. It’s believed that Kesler still has six teams on his list that he’s willing to be traded to. And we think that Philadelphia and Anaheim are among those,” Dreger reported, as per TSN.ca.
It was reported during the Olympics in February that Kesler had demanded a trade out of Vancouver, however he later denied those reports. Still, the rumours began circulating like mad that the Canucks were shopping the speedy center in the lead up to the March trade deadline, yet he remained with the team for the remainder of the regular season.
Benning, hired last month as the club’s new general manager, said at his introductory press conference that he was hoping to speak with the 29-year-old Kesler prior to the NHL Draft about his future with the club and to get a sense of what his player wanted. As per Capgeek.com, Kesler still has two seasons remaining on a six-year deal worth $30 million and a $5 million cap hit.
“He’s a warrior. Every night he comes to the rink and he plays hard. He’s a good skater, he’s a big-body guy. He’s physical,” said Benning.
We also may see what kind of return the Canucks could get for the 2011 Selke Trophy winner.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)