Jun 6, 2014, 10:30 PM EST
Even with a massive change in management in Vancouver, with the hiring of Trevor Linden and Jim Benning, it appears Ryan Kesler is still seeking a trade from the Canucks. At least that’s according to TSN’s Darren Dreger speaking on Insider Trading.
“Ryan Kesler hasn’t changed his mind. He wants a fresh start and to move on from Vancouver; he met with Benning earlier this week to talk about that. It’s believed that Kesler still has six teams on his list that he’s willing to be traded to. And we think that Philadelphia and Anaheim are among those,” Dreger reported, as per TSN.ca.
It was reported during the Olympics in February that Kesler had demanded a trade out of Vancouver, however he later denied those reports. Still, the rumours began circulating like mad that the Canucks were shopping the speedy center in the lead up to the March trade deadline, yet he remained with the team for the remainder of the regular season.
Benning, hired last month as the club’s new general manager, said at his introductory press conference that he was hoping to speak with the 29-year-old Kesler prior to the NHL Draft about his future with the club and to get a sense of what his player wanted. As per Capgeek.com, Kesler still has two seasons remaining on a six-year deal worth $30 million and a $5 million cap hit.
“He’s a warrior. Every night he comes to the rink and he plays hard. He’s a good skater, he’s a big-body guy. He’s physical,” said Benning.
We also may see what kind of return the Canucks could get for the 2011 Selke Trophy winner.
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 2
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)