Report: Kesler still wants out of Vancouver

Jun 6, 2014, 10:30 PM EST

Ryan Kesler AP

Even with a massive change in management in Vancouver, with the hiring of Trevor Linden and Jim Benning, it appears Ryan Kesler is still seeking a trade from the Canucks. At least that’s according to TSN’s Darren Dreger speaking on Insider Trading.

“Ryan Kesler hasn’t changed his mind. He wants a fresh start and to move on from Vancouver; he met with Benning earlier this week to talk about that. It’s believed that Kesler still has six teams on his list that he’s willing to be traded to. And we think that Philadelphia and Anaheim are among those,” Dreger reported, as per TSN.ca.

It was reported during the Olympics in February that Kesler had demanded a trade out of Vancouver, however he later denied those reports. Still, the rumours began circulating like mad that the Canucks were shopping the speedy center in the lead up to the March trade deadline, yet he remained with the team for the remainder of the regular season.

Benning, hired last month as the club’s new general manager, said at his introductory press conference that he was hoping to speak with the 29-year-old Kesler prior to the NHL Draft about his future with the club and to get a sense of what his player wanted. As per Capgeek.com, Kesler still has two seasons remaining on a six-year deal worth $30 million and a $5 million cap hit.

“He’s a warrior. Every night he comes to the rink and he plays hard. He’s a good skater, he’s a big-body guy. He’s physical,” said Benning.

We also may see what kind of return the Canucks could get for the 2011 Selke Trophy winner.

1. imleftcoast - Jun 6, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Report: Anyone but Gillis could have made the trade at the deadline. It’s hard to make deal when everyone thinks you are an a’hole. That’s why a former agent shouldn’t be a GM.

• canucks30 - Jun 7, 2014 at 2:49 AM

With Gillis and Ray Shero gone, I would imagine Jim Benning and Jim Rutherford would revisit a potential Kesler trade with Pittsburgh.

The Ducks also make sense now with Gillis fired as Anaheim had the best offer for Kesler at the trade deadline and the Canucks may also be interested in the Ducks 10th overall pick. That would give Vancouver 2 top 10 draft choices to kickstart their rebuild or perhaps the necessary assets to trade up with Florida and select either Sam Reinhart (who’s from Vancouver) or the franchise defenseman the Canucks have never had (Aaron Ekblad) at #1 overall.

• kaptaanamerica - Jun 7, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Kesler doesn’t really want to leave. Dreger is just a tool, and totally useless… has no clue about what goes on in VanCity…

2. snipedanglecelly13 - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Kesler can take Detroit off his list, there’s no room for him here unless we trade Weiss but no one will take him lol

• desertfan - Jun 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Kesler and Canucks #1 to NYR for St Louis, Boyle and NYR #1

3. deezenucks - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Should have traded him when he was worth 3yrs to a team, I don’t care how good he is he’s not worth the headache on a rebuild. If you don’t wanna be here then make the trade, otherwise neither side wins. Team needs lots of pieces to compete anyways.

4. gomybirdsgo - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Scott hartnell and young player for Kessler. It’s a good trade for both teams. The Canucks get a really good team guy who can score some goals and will help the younger players and nice prospect. The flyers get the second center vinny was supposed to be

• bigbenrapedhinesward - Jun 7, 2014 at 12:24 AM

Or philly keeps the better, more team oriented player and the youth… And Vancouver keeps their disgruntled center.

• canucks30 - Jun 7, 2014 at 2:44 AM

Luke Schenn is a glorified pylon and Lecavalier is washed up with a terrible contract.

The Flyers likely aren’t going to provide the Canucks with the type of assets that they would actually want (Couturier, Laughton, Brayden Schenn, etc.) as Ron Hextall has already stated he wants to be patient and build around the Flyers youth.

I don’t think there is a deal to be made with Philadelphia.

• canucks30 - Jun 7, 2014 at 3:03 AM

My previous comment was in response to broadstreetsbaddest88.

Although an offer of a 32 year old Hartnell (with a $4.75 Million cap hit and full NMC) is almost as ridiculous.

Not only would Hartnell not waive to go to Vancouver, the Canucks have no need for a 32 year old winger.

The Flyers also need more wingers to play with their young centres (Giroux, Couturier, Schenn, etc). Not more centres (Kesler).

• icelovinbrotha215 - Jun 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Hartnell has a NTC. And why would the ‘Nucks take him? Always interesting to see these one-sided arm chair trade proposals.

5. sumkat - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Don’t see the Flyers picking him up. They won’t give up any of the young key pieces for him, and they don’t have anything else worth him

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:51 PM

I’d be willing to trade lecavelier schenn an possible Luke Schenn for Kessler. Other then that I wouldn’t wanna trade B Schenn. I’d love to have Kessler as our 2C he’d fit in real nice an Vancouver would get a young up an comin center for a rebuild an Vinny for veteran presence.

• mackstrong2013 - Jun 7, 2014 at 1:29 AM

So B Schenn and two bags of garbage? No thanks, even for our disgruntled oft injured C.

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Jun 7, 2014 at 2:27 AM

Last time I checked Vinny put up just about the same amount of points in ten less games from mostly the 4th line an outta positioned as a winger. In no way I’m saying he’s better then Kessler but he’s not horrible, he wasn’t used right in a system that doesn’t compliment his style of play. They get a veteran that can play 2c an s up an coming kid that will be good in the next year or two. Luke is only 24 an capable of still turning his career around. Kessler has been hurt alot an is most likely not gonna put up 40 goals again. I’m sure it would take a pick thrown in too

• canucks30 - Jun 7, 2014 at 2:55 AM

Lecavalier is more than 4 years older than Kesler and is signed until 2018 with a full No Movement Clause.

The Canucks have no need for a 34 year old centre who can’t play in his own end (-16 last year). There’s no way he’d waive is NMC to go to Vancouver anyway.

• mackstrong2013 - Jun 7, 2014 at 6:04 AM

Ok fine, maybe Vinny isn’t complete garbage. But as previous comment says he is the opposite of what we need. As far as Luke goes, he’s terrible. You’re a Philly fan, you know this. Kesler, the lockout year was the only bad injury year, I don’t think he’s missed more than 5-6 games any other season. While he may never put up 40 again, he’s very capable of going 30+ goals 65+ points. All that, plus he’s still one of the best two ways in the game, despite last year. He’s not Toews or Kopitar etc, but I think he’s at the top of the second tier. So, what I guess I’m saying is, Couturier/Schenn+Laughton+1st please.

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Jun 7, 2014 at 6:34 AM

Yeah I agree what you said the flyers would have to probably give up to get him but I’d never make that trade cause of the upside couts schenn an Laughton has but I wouldn’t mind throwing the first with B schenn and another piece in. I’m not saying what I suggested would get him I’m just sayin that would be something I wouldn’t hate givin up. I said Vinny cause the tsn article they referenced said a vet that could play center now and a good young player with potential and a prospect. I’d take Kesler if he even put 25 goals consitantly, he’s real good 2nd line center. It’ll take alot to get him I’m sure.

• flyeredup202 - Jun 7, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Flyers are not going to go after Kesler, they dont need another center. Our depth down the middle is already really thick. I see them going after a Dman, maybe Nisakan.

• sumkat - Jun 7, 2014 at 10:48 AM

“So, what I guess I’m saying is, Couturier/Schenn+Laughton+1st please.”

and your guess would prove that you are out of your mind

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jun 7, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Seems like someone has been indulging in too much BC Bud. Schenn, Couts, Laughton and a 1st for “His best years are behind him” Kessler? Dude, thats the kind of deal Poile wanted for Weber. Besides, we’re way too deep at center. We need another winger for our top line and a true No. 1 Dman.

• mackstrong2013 - Jun 13, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Sorry guys, I overestimated PHT again. I assumed everyone would know what a “/” represented. Young roster player, mid 20’s prospect and a pick. What the hell do you think you’re going to pay for a 40 goal scoring selke winning C, still in his prime? Oh yea, and 5 mil for 2 more years. Not saying it’s going to happen, but that’s what it should take.

6. 19cbd87 - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Mikko Koivu for Ryan Kesler

• lordfletcher - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:56 PM

I’m all for moving Mikko but it doesn’t make sense for Vancouver who will want more in return and more than likely a younger skater / skaters.

Sadly I think moving Mikko and finding a #2 center without moving a huge piece of our young core is impossible. Ugh

7. hockeyflow33 - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Krejci for Kessler. He’d be a great fit in Boston.

• broadstreetsbaddest88 - Jun 7, 2014 at 2:33 AM

It amazes me that this many people thumbs this down. I think that’s a even trade that most GM’s would make. Any team would take krejci in a heart beat. One of the most underrated centers in the league

• canucks30 - Jun 7, 2014 at 2:39 AM

Krejci for Kesler (NOT Kessler) is a lateral move.

The Canucks desperately need first round picks, prospects, and multiple young assets more than a 2nd line centre in exchange for a 2nd line centre.

• hockeyflow33 - Jun 7, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Eh, I’m never surprised on here.

Krecji is a first line center on most teams and if Vancouver is going through a total rebuild they should move the Sedins instead.

• canucks30 - Jun 7, 2014 at 4:47 PM

The Sedins have a combined $14 Million cap hit with a full No Movement Clause.

It would be virtually impossible to trade them even if you wanted to.

8. flyboystransport - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Hartnell has a no trade clause. That would make sense for the Canucks but would give the flyers 7 centers

9. muckleflugga - Jun 6, 2014 at 11:59 PM

forget detroit is right

wings are too busy trying to lose its own clapped-out over-rated and overpaid injury-prone dinosaurs to consider bringing another broken down jalopy in

kesler’s damaged goods and canucks are stuck unless he can put in a complete season

what village idiot ruined a bonafide cup contender we’re left to ask

• smarshall3789 - Jun 7, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Are you special? The Wings aren’t old at all! I mean they have some vets but I’m pretty sure they were and are still one of the younger teams. I’d love to see Kessler in a Wings jersey it’s just not gonna happen.

10. rgledz - Jun 7, 2014 at 12:04 AM

@lordfletcher…..I agree with you for the most part, but why can’t Coyle be the #2 center? Mikko will be tough to trade with his contract.

11. McFaddensPulledHammy - Jun 7, 2014 at 12:11 AM

“Paging Mr. Bowman, you have a phone call.”

Take a flight to Rockford and pick two. Any two.

• canucks30 - Jun 7, 2014 at 3:07 AM

Unless the Hawks are offering a package involving at least one of Saad, Leddy, or Teräväinen, a Kesler to Chicago deal isn’t happening.

Of all the rumoured teams, however, Chicago makes the most sense as they desperately need a 2nd centre to play behind Jonathan Toews and replace some of the defensive acumen they lost when they shipped Dave Bolland to Toronto.

• no - Jun 7, 2014 at 3:16 AM

yeah it’s gonna be teuvo. if we can get some Italian beefs in the boy he’ll be big enough to play come October

• McFaddensPulledHammy - Jun 7, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Saad isn’t going anywhere but Leddy and Teuvo might. If Vancouver would do a Teuvo and Leddy for Kesler swap, Stan may jump.

12. hockeyornothing - Jun 7, 2014 at 1:10 AM

He’d be perfect for the Hawks. Heck go to Rockford and pick 3! Just not Morin…..

• no - Jun 7, 2014 at 3:19 AM

I’m sure the front office would take kesler for rundblad and khabibulin, but having watched bowman work, he’s not going to give up any youngsters for all that cap on a cap strapped team. the man defines “value trade”

• robocop3999 - Jun 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM

@McFaddens agree with you on the Saad comment. Chicago not giving up Saad for Kesler, no way.

13. mackattack29 - Jun 7, 2014 at 1:11 AM

As someone who has lived in Vancouver for a long time but was an avs fan long before moving there. It really bugs the crap outta me that Kesler is just abandoning the team the second it looks like things are going to get tough. I just can’t stand fair weather players. I mean the fans have supported Kesler through every single low point in his career and now he just wants to jump ship now that some harder times are ahead. But the canucks are NOT far away from being a serious contender. All they need is a different coach and some more scoring depth which they have coming up in the system and already have quite a lot of depth up front, not to mention one of the best d-cores in the league.

14. hawkeedawg - Jun 7, 2014 at 2:33 AM

Mackattack, I completely agree. I have lived in Vancouver since 1998 and became an instant Canucks fan. (Trevor Linden Year)
    I was a volunteer at the 2010 Olympics with direct contact with every hockey player in the tourney. I was twice assigned to Team USA for a 12 hour shift. He (Besides Brian Burke) was the biggest ahole on the team, and here we were, in his building, and he was high maintenance, never a smile on his face, even when he posed for picture with me.
    I love Kesler the player when his game is on, but I can see why he would want out and why the Canucks just might grant his wish if he has a bad rep within the room.

15. canucks30 - Jun 7, 2014 at 3:30 AM

16. vancouversportsbro - Jun 7, 2014 at 3:57 AM

Time for the Canucks to move on from him.

Stuck with the Sedins pretty much. Burrows deserves one more year to prove this year might have been an injury riddled year.

Kesler has been wanting out for a while.

17. lbeezyse - Jun 7, 2014 at 9:02 AM

If I were Chuck Fletch I would dangle Koivu, Zucker, and one of our prospects in Iowa. Van gets a leader in Koivu and a immediate top 6 player in Zucker. The guy can flat out fly.

The Wild has got too much speed now. & Koivu cant keep up anymore.

• hosewater2 - Jun 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Zucker and a prospect would be a good start, but Koivu is grossly overvalued by Wild fans. I think Mikko will be moved, but for marginal return.

18. papajack1259 - Jun 7, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I see Canucks chasing Miller to firm goaltending. Just because Kesler wants out does not mean he goes. He is very good and Never really had what I would call a “carear”.year considering how good he is.
    I would not give up on Krejci he too is young and never played up to his ability.
    The Cannucks could also blow up the team and move a couple of brothers!….I still wonder if Pittsburg might do the same

19. billiam55 - Jun 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM

should come to the rangers when we buy out richards. we’ll need a center

20. hosewater2 - Jun 7, 2014 at 12:28 PM

This team is not as “dead in the water” as everyone imagines.

And all these people thinking their team is gonna get Kesler for aged spare parts (MKoivu, Hartnell, Lecavalier, etc.) are dreaming. The market will be highly competitive, even if he goes public with wanting out.

And let’s not forget, this is all speculation by one media member looking for clicks.

21. tross16 - Jun 7, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Adam henrique Reid Boucher and a 1st for kesler and a 2 or 3rd rounder for this years draft that’s a steal for the nucks

• hawksin5 - Jun 8, 2014 at 12:34 AM

what??? no its not…

22. badguy711 - Jun 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Kesler is injury prone and has had exactly ONE great playoff series (’11 vs NAS). And has long has a rep in Vancouver as a total doucher. This Canucks Fan was pissed at whoever made the decision not to trade him at the deadline (still unclear if it was meddling clueless Aquilini or comically inept Gillis) and can’t wait to see him become someone else’s problem.

• mackstrong2013 - Jun 13, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Aside from the lockout year he’s never missed more than 5 games in a season.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches