Jun 6, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
“Maybe we’re the team that makes that blockbuster. You always have that zest, that desire to see if there’s that elusive deal that can help you. But when you do get on the phone, you quickly find out your counterparts are trying to find that same deal. It is a difficult thing.”
That was Jets general manager Kevin Cheveldayoff (to Sportsnet), getting our hopes up with that first part about making a “blockbuster” trade, then bringing us back to earth with the reality of the situation.
We’ve already written about the potential for a big Winnipeg trade. From April:
Expect to hear Dustin Byfuglien‘s name floated in trade rumors this summer. The Jets are plenty deep on the back end, and coach Paul Maurice already said Byfuglien will be a forward next season, despite the player’s preference to remain a defenseman. Beyond Byfuglien, the Evander Kane situation is obviously worth watching. Clearly, there’s some tension there. Whether it’s become an untenable relationship is the question.
Cheveldayoff also suggested last week that this offseason could be a busy one with respect to trades, though he was referring to the NHL as a whole.
The Jets are coming off another disappointing season in which they failed to make the playoffs for the third straight time since the franchise moved to Winnipeg.
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)