Jun 6, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Flames president Brian Burke likes assembling big teams that play a physical game. That black-and-blue style is the direction he wants Calgary to go in and he thinks the defending Eastern Conference champions would benefit from embracing that philosophy.
“We started that arms race in Anaheim when we won (the Stanley Cup) in 2007 with a big, ugly team,” Burke, who was the GM in Anaheim in 2007, said, per the Calgary Herald. “Now, if you’re not big and ugly, you can’t win in the (Western Conference).
“I think the New York Rangers are finding out the hard way that they’re not big and ugly enough. That’s our goal this summer — to increase our hostility quotient.”
The gap between the Rangers and Los Angeles Kings isn’t huge. Although the Rangers squandered a 2-0 lead in Game 1, they still held their own despite having comparatively less experience playing in the Stanley Cup Final.
Although Burke’s philosophy doesn’t boil down to just executing more hits, it’s worth adding that while the Kings were tied for the league lead in that category during the regular season, the other members of the top five (Columbus, Toronto, Ottawa, and Winnipeg) weren’t exactly top-tier teams in 2013-14. Meanwhile, the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks finished last in hits for the third consecutive season.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (37)