Jun 6, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Flames president Brian Burke likes assembling big teams that play a physical game. That black-and-blue style is the direction he wants Calgary to go in and he thinks the defending Eastern Conference champions would benefit from embracing that philosophy.
“We started that arms race in Anaheim when we won (the Stanley Cup) in 2007 with a big, ugly team,” Burke, who was the GM in Anaheim in 2007, said, per the Calgary Herald. “Now, if you’re not big and ugly, you can’t win in the (Western Conference).
“I think the New York Rangers are finding out the hard way that they’re not big and ugly enough. That’s our goal this summer — to increase our hostility quotient.”
The gap between the Rangers and Los Angeles Kings isn’t huge. Although the Rangers squandered a 2-0 lead in Game 1, they still held their own despite having comparatively less experience playing in the Stanley Cup Final.
Although Burke’s philosophy doesn’t boil down to just executing more hits, it’s worth adding that while the Kings were tied for the league lead in that category during the regular season, the other members of the top five (Columbus, Toronto, Ottawa, and Winnipeg) weren’t exactly top-tier teams in 2013-14. Meanwhile, the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks finished last in hits for the third consecutive season.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)