Jun 6, 2014, 4:33 PM EST
Calgary Flames president of hockey operations Brian Burke says the team’s arena situation is “embarrassing.”
“There is one building worse than ours,” Burke said yesterday, per the Calgary Herald. “Has anyone been there? Islanders. So we don’t actually have the worst building in the National Hockey League. But we have a state-of-the-art 1988 building.”
The Scotiabank Saddledome actually opened in 1983. Only four current NHL arenas predate it. The oldest, Madison Square Garden (1968), just underwent a massive renovation, while the Islanders are moving to a new arena in Brooklyn in 2015, the Red Wings have plans to replace The Joe, and the Oilers are already building their new downtown arena.
“There’s absolutely no reason why we should watch a new building going up in Edmonton and we’ve got to play in a 1988 building here,” said Burke.
The question, as always, will be, who should pay for it?
From 660 News in Calgary:
Even though the idea of a new rink for Calgary’s NHL franchise is only being floated right now, the Canadian Taxpayers Federation vows to battle any attempts to include public dollars.
The Alberta Director of the CTF tells 660News, while the owner of the Oilers managed to get 10′s of millions of dollars out of Edmonton city council for his new rink, there is no appetite for a similar venture here.
Derek Filderbfandt said Calgary doesn’t have the same corporate welfare culture as Edmonton.
Filderbrandt admits the Flames do need a new arena, but that cash should come from the pockets of the team’s owners.
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 3
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)