Jun 5, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Looks like Jacques Martin isn’t the only member of the 600-win club drawing interest for a return to coaching.
Longtime NHL bench boss Ron Wilson has reportedly interviewed for the vacant Florida Panthers gig, according to the Sun-Sentinel. Wilson, 59, has been out of coaching since being fired by Toronto during the 2011-12 campaign but has a wealth of experience and success on his resume, having racked up 648 career wins — eighth all-time — while taking Washington to the Stanley Cup Final in 1998.
The Wilson interview makes sense given GM Dale Tallon’s desire to hire an experienced bench boss after giving the gig to first-timers Kevin Dineen and Peter Horachek with his last two hires. Tallon’s on record saying he wants a veteran coach and the names rumored to be in the mix — Tom Renney, Marc Crawford and Gerard Gallant — definitely to reflect that.
According to the Sun-Sentinel, the Panthers may also look at interviewing LA Kings assistant John Stevens and AHL Texas bench boss Willie Desjardins before making a decision on who they’ll hire.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)