Jun 5, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Looks like Jacques Martin isn’t the only member of the 600-win club drawing interest for a return to coaching.
Longtime NHL bench boss Ron Wilson has reportedly interviewed for the vacant Florida Panthers gig, according to the Sun-Sentinel. Wilson, 59, has been out of coaching since being fired by Toronto during the 2011-12 campaign but has a wealth of experience and success on his resume, having racked up 648 career wins — eighth all-time — while taking Washington to the Stanley Cup Final in 1998.
The Wilson interview makes sense given GM Dale Tallon’s desire to hire an experienced bench boss after giving the gig to first-timers Kevin Dineen and Peter Horachek with his last two hires. Tallon’s on record saying he wants a veteran coach and the names rumored to be in the mix — Tom Renney, Marc Crawford and Gerard Gallant — definitely to reflect that.
According to the Sun-Sentinel, the Panthers may also look at interviewing LA Kings assistant John Stevens and AHL Texas bench boss Willie Desjardins before making a decision on who they’ll hire.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)