Jun 5, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Looks like Jacques Martin isn’t the only member of the 600-win club drawing interest for a return to coaching.
Longtime NHL bench boss Ron Wilson has reportedly interviewed for the vacant Florida Panthers gig, according to the Sun-Sentinel. Wilson, 59, has been out of coaching since being fired by Toronto during the 2011-12 campaign but has a wealth of experience and success on his resume, having racked up 648 career wins — eighth all-time — while taking Washington to the Stanley Cup Final in 1998.
The Wilson interview makes sense given GM Dale Tallon’s desire to hire an experienced bench boss after giving the gig to first-timers Kevin Dineen and Peter Horachek with his last two hires. Tallon’s on record saying he wants a veteran coach and the names rumored to be in the mix — Tom Renney, Marc Crawford and Gerard Gallant — definitely to reflect that.
According to the Sun-Sentinel, the Panthers may also look at interviewing LA Kings assistant John Stevens and AHL Texas bench boss Willie Desjardins before making a decision on who they’ll hire.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)