Jun 5, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Looks like Jacques Martin isn’t the only member of the 600-win club drawing interest for a return to coaching.
Longtime NHL bench boss Ron Wilson has reportedly interviewed for the vacant Florida Panthers gig, according to the Sun-Sentinel. Wilson, 59, has been out of coaching since being fired by Toronto during the 2011-12 campaign but has a wealth of experience and success on his resume, having racked up 648 career wins — eighth all-time — while taking Washington to the Stanley Cup Final in 1998.
The Wilson interview makes sense given GM Dale Tallon’s desire to hire an experienced bench boss after giving the gig to first-timers Kevin Dineen and Peter Horachek with his last two hires. Tallon’s on record saying he wants a veteran coach and the names rumored to be in the mix — Tom Renney, Marc Crawford and Gerard Gallant — definitely to reflect that.
According to the Sun-Sentinel, the Panthers may also look at interviewing LA Kings assistant John Stevens and AHL Texas bench boss Willie Desjardins before making a decision on who they’ll hire.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)