Jun 5, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Looks like Jacques Martin isn’t the only member of the 600-win club drawing interest for a return to coaching.
Longtime NHL bench boss Ron Wilson has reportedly interviewed for the vacant Florida Panthers gig, according to the Sun-Sentinel. Wilson, 59, has been out of coaching since being fired by Toronto during the 2011-12 campaign but has a wealth of experience and success on his resume, having racked up 648 career wins — eighth all-time — while taking Washington to the Stanley Cup Final in 1998.
The Wilson interview makes sense given GM Dale Tallon’s desire to hire an experienced bench boss after giving the gig to first-timers Kevin Dineen and Peter Horachek with his last two hires. Tallon’s on record saying he wants a veteran coach and the names rumored to be in the mix — Tom Renney, Marc Crawford and Gerard Gallant — definitely to reflect that.
According to the Sun-Sentinel, the Panthers may also look at interviewing LA Kings assistant John Stevens and AHL Texas bench boss Willie Desjardins before making a decision on who they’ll hire.
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 0
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 8
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 6
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 28
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)