Jun 5, 2014, 3:44 PM EST
From the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch:
Boyle, of course, will not be back with San Jose next season. The Sharks made the decision to cut ties with the 37-year-old defenseman, despite his preference to stay with the club.
Tampa Bay could make sense for Boyle if the Lightning decide to cut their own ties with a veteran right-handed blue-liner — 39-year-old Sami Salo, who’s a pending unrestricted free agent.
Why might the Lightning be willing to give up an asset to acquire Boyle’s negotiating rights before July 1? Read this to find out.
Boyle won a Stanley Cup as a member of the Lightning in 2004. He was traded to San Jose in 2008.
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 4
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 2
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 19
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL 55
- Eakins calls for patience in Edmonton, whether fans ‘like it or not’ 15
- Bruins have to ‘step up,’ starting tonight in Nashville 45
- Welcome Taylor Hall to the trade rumor mill 53