Jun 5, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
From the Ottawa Sun’s Bruce Garrioch:
Boyle, of course, will not be back with San Jose next season. The Sharks made the decision to cut ties with the 37-year-old defenseman, despite his preference to stay with the club.
Tampa Bay could make sense for Boyle if the Lightning decide to cut their own ties with a veteran right-handed blue-liner — 39-year-old Sami Salo, who’s a pending unrestricted free agent.
Why might the Lightning be willing to give up an asset to acquire Boyle’s negotiating rights before July 1? Read this to find out.
Boyle won a Stanley Cup as a member of the Lightning in 2004. He was traded to San Jose in 2008.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 0
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6