Jun 5, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
By the sounds of it, goalie Alex Stalock really enjoys playing for the San Jose Sharks. It also appears that the Sharks value him in the organization.
So it seems likely a deal gets done between the two sides. The 26-year-old Stalock played in 24 regular season games for San Jose in 2013-14, posting a record of 12-5-2 and a .932 save percentage and 1.87 goals-against average. That was spent as the back-up to 30-year-old Antti Niemi.
He also appeared in three playoff games, including a start in Game 6 of their first-round series loss to the L.A. Kings, and is slated to become an unrestricted free agent.
From CSN Bay Area:
Talks are underway between the Sharks and pending unrestricted free agent Alex Stalock, the goaltender’s agent confirmed via text message to CSNBayArea.com.
The Sharks and Stalock would both prefer to get a deal done before the NHL Entry Draft in Philadelphia on June 27-28, according to Stalock’s camp. The 26-year-old, who turns 27 in late July, would become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
Last season, Stalock came with a $625,000 cap hit, according to Capgeek.com. Intrigue into his contract situation and whether the Sharks wanted him hit a peak in February, although at that time, no discussions had taken place, according to a report.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 0
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (80)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)