Jun 5, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
By the sounds of it, goalie Alex Stalock really enjoys playing for the San Jose Sharks. It also appears that the Sharks value him in the organization.
So it seems likely a deal gets done between the two sides. The 26-year-old Stalock played in 24 regular season games for San Jose in 2013-14, posting a record of 12-5-2 and a .932 save percentage and 1.87 goals-against average. That was spent as the back-up to 30-year-old Antti Niemi.
He also appeared in three playoff games, including a start in Game 6 of their first-round series loss to the L.A. Kings, and is slated to become an unrestricted free agent.
From CSN Bay Area:
Talks are underway between the Sharks and pending unrestricted free agent Alex Stalock, the goaltender’s agent confirmed via text message to CSNBayArea.com.
The Sharks and Stalock would both prefer to get a deal done before the NHL Entry Draft in Philadelphia on June 27-28, according to Stalock’s camp. The 26-year-old, who turns 27 in late July, would become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.
Last season, Stalock came with a $625,000 cap hit, according to Capgeek.com. Intrigue into his contract situation and whether the Sharks wanted him hit a peak in February, although at that time, no discussions had taken place, according to a report.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)