PHT Extra: The Rangers blew Game 1, but it wasn’t all bad

Jun 5, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

Temporary studio for today’s PHT Extra, courtesy the fine folks at KNBC in Los Angeles.

Click play to watch us discuss which was more true — 1. the Rangers blew a great chance to win Game 1, or 2. credit the Kings for battling back after a tough start.

You might have guessed by the headline that we went with the first option; however, it wasn’t all bad for the underdogs from New York, who definitely impressed with their speed.

PS — We totally need one of those headline scrolling things for our studio back home. Except instead of headlines like “Doughty Plays Big Role as Kings Win Game 1,” we’d personalize it with stuff like “Halford to Brough: Stop breathing so loud, I’m trying to work over here” or “Bloggers shoot online video, have to put on pants.”

PPS — Sometimes we don’t wear pants.

Related: Kings know they got away with one

1. areaman714 - Jun 5, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Neither team blew anything. The game showcased that great teams will capitalize on another team’s mistakes, great goalies play great despite being shakey at times. It was a fun game to watch and both teams have played better.

• billiam55 - Jun 5, 2014 at 10:16 PM

well said

2. imleftcoast - Jun 5, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Kay Adams looks horrible.

3. papajack1259 - Jun 5, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I can see if I was a Ranger fan where my heart would tell me they beat themselves…but the fact is this LA team has players that went under my radar focusing mostly on the east & Chicago, LA are some big boys that can move. Honestly It’s good for my blood pressure not having attachments to either team.

4. nightfireop - Jun 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM

the rangers are still in an optimal position to steal game 2 if the kings aren’t careful. the rangers know they have alot to lose if they lose again and the kings know they have to win, game 2 should be very entertaining regardless.

5. jason9696 - Jun 5, 2014 at 8:18 PM

The Rangers didn’t blow game 1. They were lucky that they even made it into overtime after the Kings totally dominated the 3rd period.

• Professor Fate - Jun 5, 2014 at 8:47 PM

And the Kings were lucky Quick stopped that breakaway at the end of regulation in order to get to overtime.

• dannymac17 - Jun 5, 2014 at 9:57 PM

thats not luck, thats pure skill.

• jason9696 - Jun 5, 2014 at 10:11 PM

That was a great save by Quick. And I think right after that Jeff Carter just about scored on a wrap around attempt. It was a crazy last minute of the 3rd period.

6. Professor Fate - Jun 5, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Both 1 and 2 are true: The Rangers had a golden chance to take game one and the Kings came back to win.

“1. the Rangers blew a great chance to win Game 1, or 2. credit the Kings for battling back after a tough start.”

Replace the “or” with “and.”

I could have done without the PPS.

7. henrik4dawin - Jun 5, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Jason– sometimes you just crack me up, which is good because otherwise I would be either 1. wallowing in the sadness of the Rangers blowing a great chance to win Game 1, or 2. Trying (and failing) to convince myself to give credit to the Kings for battling back after a tough start

8. tdrusher225 - Jun 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM

I have no doubt the Rangers can comeback from this to make it a series. However, making the comeback is different than completing it, and I would be genuinely shocked if the Rangers find a way to win this series. This isn’t because I think being down 1-0 is insurmountable or anything, but the teams who find a way to win these close games early in the series usually end up winning.

9. joey4id - Jun 6, 2014 at 7:33 AM

Game one – Lundqvist was lights out in the 3rd period.

Over 60+OT minutes Quick > Lundqvist

Doughty > McDonagh

LA d > NY d

LA o > NY o

LA speed > NY speed

1st period > for NY

LA’s relentless puck pursuit and fore check is second to none,

LA will play much better and wins game 2.

• doknyc - Jun 6, 2014 at 7:53 AM

hate NY much? lordgod, youre delusional…

• joey4id - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I don’t. LA is just a better team. Were you offended?

• kreidsandslim - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Blah Blah Blah… Is it Saturday yet? Funny how you can watch the same game and people can get it soooo wrong.

The majority of your “>’s” are just over the top. The one that is right (Doughty > McD)… umm duh? No one ever said he was. But, he doesn’t have to be for Rangers to win this series. Doughty is a top 5 D-man, some would say Top 3 (me).

• joey4id - Jun 6, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Why stick it to me for being right?

“Rangers won’t win with their ‘B’ game” -AV

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Bennett (1312)
  2. S. Crosby (1243)
  3. P. Rinne (1143)
  4. N. Niederreiter (1143)
  5. B. Schenn (1085)