Jun 5, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
The trade cost the Isles a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2015 draft; it becomes a fourth-rounder if Boyle signs with the club.
From the press release:
Boyle, 37, led all San Jose Sharks defensemen in points (36) and goals (12) in 75 games this past season. The Ottawa, ON, native added four assists in seven Stanley Cup Playoff games.
In 954 career regular-season NHL games with the Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning and San Jose, Boyle has 561 points (144 goals, 417 assists). He ranks 46th all-time in scoring among NHL defenseman and is fourth among active defensemen. Boyle has appeared in at least 75 games in nine of the last 10 full NHL seasons.
In his 15-year NHL career, Boyle has scored 70 points (14 goals, 56 assists) in 107 career playoff games. He ranks 28th all-time in playoff scoring among NHL defensemen and is third among active defensemen. Boyle was a member of the 2004 Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning.
The question now becomes, will Boyle sign with the Isles? In all likelihood, he’ll receive a handsome offer — money and term — to do so. But he may get a handsome offer from another team (or two or three teams) if he waits until July 1, given the market for right-shooting d-men.
Also, how important is winning a Stanley Cup to Boyle at this stage of his career? If it’s important, would he feel like he could win one with the Isles?
We’ll find out soon enough.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)