Jun 5, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT
The trade cost the Isles a conditional fifth-round pick in the 2015 draft; it becomes a fourth-rounder if Boyle signs with the club.
From the press release:
Boyle, 37, led all San Jose Sharks defensemen in points (36) and goals (12) in 75 games this past season. The Ottawa, ON, native added four assists in seven Stanley Cup Playoff games.
In 954 career regular-season NHL games with the Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning and San Jose, Boyle has 561 points (144 goals, 417 assists). He ranks 46th all-time in scoring among NHL defenseman and is fourth among active defensemen. Boyle has appeared in at least 75 games in nine of the last 10 full NHL seasons.
In his 15-year NHL career, Boyle has scored 70 points (14 goals, 56 assists) in 107 career playoff games. He ranks 28th all-time in playoff scoring among NHL defensemen and is third among active defensemen. Boyle was a member of the 2004 Stanley Cup Champion Tampa Bay Lightning.
The question now becomes, will Boyle sign with the Isles? In all likelihood, he’ll receive a handsome offer — money and term — to do so. But he may get a handsome offer from another team (or two or three teams) if he waits until July 1, given the market for right-shooting d-men.
Also, how important is winning a Stanley Cup to Boyle at this stage of his career? If it’s important, would he feel like he could win one with the Isles?
We’ll find out soon enough.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)