Jun 5, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times reports Callahan and the Lightning are still talking about an extension but there’s nothing imminent regarding a signing. Callahan can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. He was acquired from the Rangers in a blockbuster deal along with a first-round pick in the 2014 draft for St. Louis.
In 20 regular season games with Tampa Bay, Callahan had six goals and 11 points. In the Lightning’s four-game sweep at the hands of the Montreal Canadiens, he was held without a point while averaging over 20 minutes of ice time per game.
Callahan is coming off a three-year contract that paid him nearly $13 million overall. It was reported during the season he was seeking a seven-year deal that would pay him $42 million from the Rangers. Even though he reportedly lowered his demands, the process led to him being traded out of New York.
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has stated he would “love” to re-sign Callahan, but the lure of free agent money could make negotiations tricky.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)