Jun 5, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Joe Smith of the Tampa Bay Times reports Callahan and the Lightning are still talking about an extension but there’s nothing imminent regarding a signing. Callahan can become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. He was acquired from the Rangers in a blockbuster deal along with a first-round pick in the 2014 draft for St. Louis.
In 20 regular season games with Tampa Bay, Callahan had six goals and 11 points. In the Lightning’s four-game sweep at the hands of the Montreal Canadiens, he was held without a point while averaging over 20 minutes of ice time per game.
Callahan is coming off a three-year contract that paid him nearly $13 million overall. It was reported during the season he was seeking a seven-year deal that would pay him $42 million from the Rangers. Even though he reportedly lowered his demands, the process led to him being traded out of New York.
Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has stated he would “love” to re-sign Callahan, but the lure of free agent money could make negotiations tricky.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)