Jun 4, 2014, 6:57 PM EDT
It’s time to get excited (if you weren’t already), as the the New York Rangers and Los Angeles Kings ready themselves to begin the 2014 Stanley Cup Final. You can watch Game 1 on NBC and also stream it via the link below:
The most obvious storyline is that Henrik Lundqvist enters his first career Stanley Cup Final series at 32. While his list of accomplishments is staggering (including a Vezina Trophy and a 2006 gold medal), he could face the dual disappointments of losing a gold-medal game and a Stanley Cup Final in the same year.
Martin St. Louis and Dominic Moore hope to finish emotional runs by hoisting the Stanley Cup, but the Kings won’t make it easy. They come in as heavy favorites as they attempt to win their second championship in three seasons after raising the Cup for the first time in franchise history in 2012.
The NHL must be delighted to see the Stanley Cup Final come down to two great teams from huge markets. Now they just need to back up that excitement with great hockey.
The contest kicks off around 8 p.m. ET, yet there is also a pre-show airing 7 p.m. ET. You can enjoy that extended coverage on NBCSN and by following this livestream link:
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 10
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 4
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)