Jun 4, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT
The New York Rangers jumped out to an early lead in Game 1 of the 2014 Stanley Cup Final, making the Los Angeles Kings look baffled at times by their team speed. As usual, Los Angeles showed that it can shake off some serious body blows, though.
If there’s a theme to the Rangers taking a 2-1 lead into the first intermission, it’s that the two teams are forcing each other to make mistakes.
That combination of Rangers speed and Kings mistakes continued as Carl Hagelin made it 2-0 with a shorthanded tally:
Just when it seemed like the Rangers might leave the Kings in the dust, Los Angeles took advantage of a Derek Stepan gaffe to stay within comfortable distance at 2-1:
The lack of familiarity between these two teams certainly isn’t slowing things down early on. If the first 20 minutes of the Stanley Cup Final are any indication, hockey fans are in for a treat … even if the coaches of the two teams might end up feeling miserable watching all of these mistakes.
- Here’s latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 0
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 59
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)