Jun 4, 2014, 10:19 AM EST
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
A little over a year ago, it didn’t even look like Jokinen was a lock to get another NHL contract by the time his three-year, $9 million deal expired.
The Carolina Hurricanes soured on him during the shortened 2013 campaign, but there were no takers when they put Jokinen on waivers. They eventually dumped him on Pittsburgh for a conditional seventh-round pick after agreeing to retain $900,000 annually of his cap hit.
That proved to be a steal for the Penguins as he went on to score 21 goals and 57 points in 81 contests in 2013-14. He carried that success into the playoffs where he added another seven goals and 10 points in 11 contests, including three game-winning markers.
The 31-year-old forward likely won’t be the most intriguing option when the free agent period starts, but he’s a capable top-six forward and a potentially more cost effective alternative to Thomas Vanek or Matt Moulson.
That being said, Jokinen’ comeback season featured him frequently playing alongside Evgeni Malkin and James Neal. Any team that signs him likely won’t be able to offer him that caliber of linemates to work with and his production might decline as a result.
As for how interested the Penguins are interested in re-signing him, it’s hard to say until they hire a new general manager. Currently, they’re in the process of interviewing candidates.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings, too 0
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)