Jun 4, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
We wrote yesterday about Ryan McDonagh and how the Rangers’ defenseman will be a major key for New York in the Stanley Cup Final versus the favored Los Angeles Kings.
Apparently, Kings coach Darryl Sutter agrees with that notion.
“Obviously he’s gotten a lot better as the playoffs have went along,” Sutter said this morning. “You can see the difference in his confidence, his game, his puck play, all those things. The experience of it for him. It’s a big challenge for us. He is the Rangers’ Doughty. I’m sure they’re talking about Drew and we’re talking about Ryan McDonagh.”
How McDonagh deals with the Kings’ forecheck will be something to monitor in this series. Even Chicago’s Duncan Keith, one of the best there is at escaping pressure, had his troubles in the Western Conference Final.
“They’re a big, physical team,” said McDonagh. “They’ve got a lot of size and speed. So we’ve got to make sure that we break their forecheck and not spend a lot of time in our zone. They’ve got some guys that are going to get in hard on the forecheck. We’ve got to utilize our communication and our puck-moving skills to try to get out of our zone clean.”
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 37
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)