Jun 4, 2014, 2:07 PM EDT
We wrote yesterday about Ryan McDonagh and how the Rangers’ defenseman will be a major key for New York in the Stanley Cup Final versus the favored Los Angeles Kings.
Apparently, Kings coach Darryl Sutter agrees with that notion.
“Obviously he’s gotten a lot better as the playoffs have went along,” Sutter said this morning. “You can see the difference in his confidence, his game, his puck play, all those things. The experience of it for him. It’s a big challenge for us. He is the Rangers’ Doughty. I’m sure they’re talking about Drew and we’re talking about Ryan McDonagh.”
How McDonagh deals with the Kings’ forecheck will be something to monitor in this series. Even Chicago’s Duncan Keith, one of the best there is at escaping pressure, had his troubles in the Western Conference Final.
“They’re a big, physical team,” said McDonagh. “They’ve got a lot of size and speed. So we’ve got to make sure that we break their forecheck and not spend a lot of time in our zone. They’ve got some guys that are going to get in hard on the forecheck. We’ve got to utilize our communication and our puck-moving skills to try to get out of our zone clean.”
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 9
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)