Jun 4, 2014, 2:10 PM EST
Jim Rutherford’s name surfaced as a candidate for the vacant Pittsburgh general manager’s gig on Tuesday, but the ex-Carolina GM refused to confirm or deny the report.
“I’m not going to comment,” Rutherford said, per the Raleigh News & Observer. “I’m under contract with the Hurricanes, so that’s the extent of it.”
Rutherford, 65, was relieved of his duties with the ‘Canes in April after 20 years on the job in both Hartford and Carolina, but still remains in the club president role and as a part-owner. Yesterday, reports surfaced that both he and NBC Sports’ Pierre McGuire had spoken to the Pittsburgh organization about inheriting Ray Shero’s old job, after Shero was fired in mid-May following the Penguins’ second-round playoff collapse against the Rangers.
Rutherford does have ties to the Pittsburgh organization, having played in goal for the club from 1971-74.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)