Rutherford won’t comment on Pens GM gig

Jun 4, 2014, 2:10 PM EST

Jim Rutherford AP

Jim Rutherford’s name surfaced as a candidate for the vacant Pittsburgh general manager’s gig on Tuesday, but the ex-Carolina GM refused to confirm or deny the report.

“I’m not going to comment,” Rutherford said, per the Raleigh News & Observer. “I’m under contract with the Hurricanes, so that’s the extent of it.”

Rutherford, 65, was relieved of his duties with the ‘Canes in April after 20 years on the job in both Hartford and Carolina, but still remains in the club president role and as a part-owner. Yesterday, reports surfaced that both he and NBC Sports’ Pierre McGuire had spoken to the Pittsburgh organization about inheriting Ray Shero’s old job, after Shero was fired in mid-May following the Penguins’ second-round playoff collapse against the Rangers.

Rutherford does have ties to the Pittsburgh organization, having played in goal for the club from 1971-74.

1. bencia823 - Jun 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I get the idea of trying to shake up the organization, but the fact that the Pens may very well replace Shero with Pierre Mcguire or the guy shero robbed in the staal and jokinen trades is just stupid

• joey4id - Jun 4, 2014 at 2:51 PM

On the positive side, he learned a valuable lesson. As the great American President, George W. Bush, once said; “There’s an old saying in Tennessee – I know it’s in Texas, probably in Tennessee – that says, fool me once, shame on – shame on you. Fool me – you can’t get fooled again.”

2. storminator16 - Jun 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Wasn’t “relieved of his duties”, he basically re-signed. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was pushed to decision of relieving himself of his duties.

When I first thought of this, I laughed my butt off at the thought of him going to the Penguins. With that said, he is the Czar of the Thrift Signing (a.k.a., the “pimp hand”) and does make the occasional big hole-filling trade on draft days (although they never seem to work out in the long run: see Ozolinsh, J.Staal). The combination of that and the fact he has two Hart trophy winners that can attract free-agents, Rutherford may be the safest bet right now to get the Penguins pointing north. As much as I think Rutherford was a bad GM at times, he may actually do what Shero couldn’t.

You can’t deny the Rutherford pimp hand if he really feels like he needs to prove something. Canes would need a new President and he’ll have to relinquish his ownership stake in the team if he decides to move on, though. If I was 65, I would just call it a day.

• storminator16 - Jun 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Proofread it and still goofed on “re-signed”. I meant “resigned”.

• storminator16 - Jun 4, 2014 at 2:50 PM

And by “pointing north”, I mean “Stanley Cup”. Let’s be honest: Sid’s window is closing.

• joey4id - Jun 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM

” Let’s be honest: Sid’s window is closing.” He’s only 26.

He’s not even in his prime yet. The window will start closing when he’s on the downside of the bell curve.

• storminator16 - Jun 4, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I’d argue his prime is waning and he has a bit of a concussion history. He may be “only” 26, but his prime was probably 22-25 years. I’d say that for most players. Your viewpoint may be different. Not saying he isn’t still a great player, I’m just saying you’ve probably seen the best of him.

• joey4id - Jun 4, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Prime at 22….. C’mon! Your not serious….. Look at the stats of every great player and you’ll have trouble finding a superstar who had his best season before he was 25. Do your homework, and then we can talk.

• storminator16 - Jun 4, 2014 at 4:48 PM

ROFL. Ok, Joey.

• joey4id - Jun 4, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Adam Oates had his best seasons at 29 and 31. That’s the first player I looked. ROFL. OK? a** hole. :-)

• storminator16 - Jun 4, 2014 at 4:50 PM

And I’m not going to go tit-for-tat about who is right or wrong here. I’ll take the time to look up the stats later but I feel that I’m going to be right. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong.

• joey4id - Jun 4, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Mark Messier had his best season in 1990 (29 yrs old) He’s the second player stats I checked.

Don’t bother me anymore. You’re boring and annoying.

• storminator16 - Jun 4, 2014 at 5:07 PM

I know, I just saw the same thing.

Not sure what your deal is, but whatever, dude. Could I have stated it better? Probably. “Sid has peaked. I don’t see him getting better. Just like many players, they will peak by age 26. Especially the past 20 years.”

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 4, 2014 at 6:38 PM

FWIW, Gordie Howe and Wayne Gretzky each had fine seasons after turning 28, but neither won another Stanley Cup. Made the Finals, but never won again.

3. broadstreetbeatdown - Jun 4, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Oh boy, Pierre must be sweating this one. He thought all the years of sideline fellatio for the Pens was about to pay off huge for him.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jun 4, 2014 at 6:32 PM

IMHO, there are some good reasons to not like Pierre, but bringing sex into the discussion says a lot about the commenter and nothing about the subject.

• broadstreetbeatdown - Jun 4, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I suppose humor is lost on some folks. Lighten up Francis.

4. dolphincult - Jun 5, 2014 at 12:59 AM

ah yes another day in idiot joey’s private sandbox

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches