Jun 4, 2014, 10:50 AM EDT
It’s possible you may not have noticed Rick Nash very much in the playoffs.
That’s not a knock on his performance so far in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. He has three goals in 10 points for the New York Rangers and now he’s making his first appearance in the Stanley Cup Final.
While the goal scoring isn’t where the Rangers may have hoped it would be, he’s getting it done in other areas for the team with his all-around play as Arthur Staple of Newsday shares.
“He’s had that Team Canada experience where he won a couple gold medals in a different role than he’s used to,” said Derek Dorsett, a teammate in Columbus and New York. “I think that’s helped him a lot.”
Nash and the Rangers facing former teammate Marian Gaborik and the Los Angeles Kings in the Final makes for a curious juxtaposition for Rangers fans. Gaborik was dealt from New York to Columbus when he was no longer working out with the Rangers and Nash’s arrival.
Now with Gaborik having wild success with the Kings and leading all goal scorers in the postseason with 12, Nash may have to put his all-around game to work to try and shut down his former teammate.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)