Jun 4, 2014, 9:06 AM EST
With their heartbreaking finish to the 2013-14 campaign still fresh in their fans’ minds, the Toronto Maple Leafs might make a big move before the NHL Entry Draft.
They currently control the eighth overall pick, but took time during the NHL combine to interview a projected top-three pick in a move that was “more than due diligence,” according to a Toronto Sun source.
The same source believes that the Maple Leafs are interested in moving up in the draft and while that doesn’t necessarily mean anything will happen, it’s not a far-fetched notion.
“I definitely will [be shopping the pick], especially this year,” Tallon said in May. “We had a couple of nibbles the day after we won [the lottery]. There were a couple guys calling to bust my chops, asking ‘what are you going to do?’ And that’s fine. It’s a good thing.”
Online bookmaker Bovada also recently gave 2/1 odds that the Panthers would trade their pick. They also gave 3/1 odds that Maple Leafs forward Nazem Kadri would be dealt. Kadri is rumored to be a player that might head to the Panthers as part of a trade for the top selection.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)