Jun 4, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
With their heartbreaking finish to the 2013-14 campaign still fresh in their fans’ minds, the Toronto Maple Leafs might make a big move before the NHL Entry Draft.
They currently control the eighth overall pick, but took time during the NHL combine to interview a projected top-three pick in a move that was “more than due diligence,” according to a Toronto Sun source.
The same source believes that the Maple Leafs are interested in moving up in the draft and while that doesn’t necessarily mean anything will happen, it’s not a far-fetched notion.
“I definitely will [be shopping the pick], especially this year,” Tallon said in May. “We had a couple of nibbles the day after we won [the lottery]. There were a couple guys calling to bust my chops, asking ‘what are you going to do?’ And that’s fine. It’s a good thing.”
Online bookmaker Bovada also recently gave 2/1 odds that the Panthers would trade their pick. They also gave 3/1 odds that Maple Leafs forward Nazem Kadri would be dealt. Kadri is rumored to be a player that might head to the Panthers as part of a trade for the top selection.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 14
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 88
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (88)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)