Jun 4, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
With their heartbreaking finish to the 2013-14 campaign still fresh in their fans’ minds, the Toronto Maple Leafs might make a big move before the NHL Entry Draft.
They currently control the eighth overall pick, but took time during the NHL combine to interview a projected top-three pick in a move that was “more than due diligence,” according to a Toronto Sun source.
The same source believes that the Maple Leafs are interested in moving up in the draft and while that doesn’t necessarily mean anything will happen, it’s not a far-fetched notion.
“I definitely will [be shopping the pick], especially this year,” Tallon said in May. “We had a couple of nibbles the day after we won [the lottery]. There were a couple guys calling to bust my chops, asking ‘what are you going to do?’ And that’s fine. It’s a good thing.”
Online bookmaker Bovada also recently gave 2/1 odds that the Panthers would trade their pick. They also gave 3/1 odds that Maple Leafs forward Nazem Kadri would be dealt. Kadri is rumored to be a player that might head to the Panthers as part of a trade for the top selection.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)