Jun 4, 2014, 9:06 AM EDT
With their heartbreaking finish to the 2013-14 campaign still fresh in their fans’ minds, the Toronto Maple Leafs might make a big move before the NHL Entry Draft.
They currently control the eighth overall pick, but took time during the NHL combine to interview a projected top-three pick in a move that was “more than due diligence,” according to a Toronto Sun source.
The same source believes that the Maple Leafs are interested in moving up in the draft and while that doesn’t necessarily mean anything will happen, it’s not a far-fetched notion.
“I definitely will [be shopping the pick], especially this year,” Tallon said in May. “We had a couple of nibbles the day after we won [the lottery]. There were a couple guys calling to bust my chops, asking ‘what are you going to do?’ And that’s fine. It’s a good thing.”
Online bookmaker Bovada also recently gave 2/1 odds that the Panthers would trade their pick. They also gave 3/1 odds that Maple Leafs forward Nazem Kadri would be dealt. Kadri is rumored to be a player that might head to the Panthers as part of a trade for the top selection.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)