Jun 4, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Jonathan Quick won the Conn Smythe Trophy in 2012 and was the main reason Los Angeles advanced to the Western Conference Final last year, but he hasn’t enjoyed nearly as smooth of a playoff run this time around.
He hasn’t been bad — the Kings wouldn’t have made it this far if he had been — but he has been inconsistent. He wasn’t terribly effective against Chicago in particular, and now has a 2.86 GAA and .906 save percentage in the playoff as a result.
Still, Kings goaltending coach Bill Ranford argued that Quick’s statistics are misleading.
“I think it’s just been a lot of unfortunate bounces,” Ranford said, per LA Kings Insider.
Ranford conceded that they weren’t getting big saves out of Quick in the opening two games of Los Angeles’ first round series against the San Jose Sharks, but he feels Quick rebounded in Game 3 and hasn’t looked back.
“You look at the last playoff run last year, and even the year we won it, there were some real bad goals that he gave up,” Ranford said. “He hasn’t really given up any bad goals, and that’s been huge.
“But there’s just been more this year around, and especially in the Chicago series, you had two of the best goalies in the world, and the number of goals that were scored in that series, it was crazy. You look at the bounces that happened, it was just two very resilient teams that weren’t willing to give up.”
The Kings will be going up against a top-tier goaltender in the New York Rangers’ Henrik Lundqvist. He’s the best goalie they’ve faced thus far and he’s having a far better playoff run than Quick.
The Kings goaltender is capable of playing at the same level of him, but if he doesn’t then the Kings will have a tough time overcoming that deficiency.
Mar 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Pens defenseman will remain in hospital overnight.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
He appeared in eight games with Columbus this season.
Mar 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
It’ll cost him $3,897.85.
Mar 28, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Detroit moves five points up on Boston in the Atlantic with the win.
Mar 28, 2015, 4:38 PM EDT
Anaheim currently has the NHL’s best record as well.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Big win for the B’s.
Mar 28, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
The West’s first ticket gets punched.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:59 PM EDT
There’s plenty of debate about it being dirty or clean.
Mar 28, 2015, 2:49 PM EDT
The only update so far is he’s “unlikely to return.”
Mar 28, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT
A positive trend on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT
Pittsburgh killed the penalty.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:35 PM EDT
Notes from a busy Saturday afternoon.
Mar 28, 2015, 1:13 PM EDT
Nashville’s in a great position to clinch a playoff spot.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:24 PM EDT
The really busy Saturday matinee edition.
Mar 28, 2015, 12:09 PM EDT
Nashville will aim to clinch without him.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Four teams look to punch their ticket on Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
Just what the doctor ordered.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT
They face the desperate Bruins today.
Mar 28, 2015, 11:03 AM EDT
He’s a healthy scratch for Saturday.
Mar 28, 2015, 10:31 AM EDT
St. Louis gets Carl Gunnarsson back, too.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 22
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)