Jun 4, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
New York Rangers forward Daniel Carcillo got a reprieve on Tuesday when the NHL announced they reduced his suspension for striking an official from 10 games to six.
Carcillo’s successful appeal means he’ll potentially get to play in at least one game of the Stanley Cup Final against the Los Angeles Kings as he’ll be eligible to return in Game 4. As you might expect, he feels relieved to have a chance to suit up as Katie Strang of ESPN.com shared.
“It’s awesome. It puts a little jump in your step. I’ve been a bit of a dead man walking the last two weeks. Or the last week and a half. It was tough,” Carcillo said during media availability Tuesday. “To hear that this morning as soon as you wake up, it just gives a little boost, a little energy. Just to be able to be around the guys in three games will be great. I’m just really encouraged. Like I said, hopefully they don’t need me, but it is nice to be able to be around the guys again.”
With Carcillo eligible to play in the Final, that means he’ll get a chance to face off against one of his former teams in the Kings. The Rangers were able to soldier on well without him in the lineup going 2-1 against Montreal following his incident in Game 3.
It may be tricky for Carcillo to get back in the lineup after how well the team played without him and after getting Derick Brassard back, but things could change quickly in the next three games.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 37
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)