Jun 4, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT
Alex Edler struggled mightily last season. That’s stating the obvious. He never seemed to find his way under head coach John Tortorella, who was fired after one season in Vancouver.
A suspension early in the season and an injury contributed to the difficulties of the 28-year-old Swedish defenseman in 2013-14. He finished the season with a league-worst minus-39 rating, although the validity of that statistic has come under fire in recent years with the rise on analytics. His contributions offensively were also well below what he’s done in the past, with 22 points in 63 games. That was his same point total from the 45 games he played during the 2013 lockout-shortened season.
His name has also come up in trade speculation (that includes last summer and at this year’s March deadline). He’s about to enter the second year of a six-year, $30 million contract that includes a no-trade clause, as per Capgeek.com.
But it seems that with the newly forming Trevor Linden era, the plan is keep Edler and continue to try and develop his game back rather than deal him.
“He’d be the first to admit he didn’t have a good year, and part of our job is to recapture the Alex Edler that we all know he can be. He has the skill-set that every team wants and we just have to get him back where he should be,” said Linden, as per The Province newspaper in Vancouver.
“There isn’t a team in the league that wouldn’t have its hand up for the opportunity to have an Alex Edler. It’s not in our consideration. We want to work with Alex; we have to get his game back, and I know he’s committed to doing that.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)