Jun 4, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
The New York Rangers won’t have their trusty backup available for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Cam Talbot, who came on in relief of Henrik Lundqvist in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final against Montreal, won’t be available for tonight’s series opener against the Kings. Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault confirmed the news during Wednesday’s pregame media availability; he didn’t specify what injury Talbot suffered, only saying the goalie’s status was “day-to-day.”
David LeNeveu, a 31-year-old journeyman, will dress as Lundqvist’s backup tonight. The former Coyotes and Blue Jackets netminder has dressed with the Rangers already this season — in late January, he sat as Talbot’s backup while Lundqvist sat out versus the Islanders with an illness.
LeNeveu went 12-8-2 with AHL Hartford this year, with a 2.46 GAA and .915 save percentage.
Talbot, who replaced Martin Biron as the backup in New York this year, had an excellent campaign going 12-6-1 with a 1.64 GAA and .941 save percentage.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)