Jun 4, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
The New York Rangers won’t have their trusty backup available for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Cam Talbot, who came on in relief of Henrik Lundqvist in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final against Montreal, won’t be available for tonight’s series opener against the Kings. Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault confirmed the news during Wednesday’s pregame media availability; he didn’t specify what injury Talbot suffered, only saying the goalie’s status was “day-to-day.”
David LeNeveu, a 31-year-old journeyman, will dress as Lundqvist’s backup tonight. The former Coyotes and Blue Jackets netminder has dressed with the Rangers already this season — in late January, he sat as Talbot’s backup while Lundqvist sat out versus the Islanders with an illness.
LeNeveu went 12-8-2 with AHL Hartford this year, with a 2.46 GAA and .915 save percentage.
Talbot, who replaced Martin Biron as the backup in New York this year, had an excellent campaign going 12-6-1 with a 1.64 GAA and .941 save percentage.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 3
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 10
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 35
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)