Jun 4, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
The New York Rangers won’t have their trusty backup available for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Cam Talbot, who came on in relief of Henrik Lundqvist in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final against Montreal, won’t be available for tonight’s series opener against the Kings. Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault confirmed the news during Wednesday’s pregame media availability; he didn’t specify what injury Talbot suffered, only saying the goalie’s status was “day-to-day.”
David LeNeveu, a 31-year-old journeyman, will dress as Lundqvist’s backup tonight. The former Coyotes and Blue Jackets netminder has dressed with the Rangers already this season — in late January, he sat as Talbot’s backup while Lundqvist sat out versus the Islanders with an illness.
LeNeveu went 12-8-2 with AHL Hartford this year, with a 2.46 GAA and .915 save percentage.
Talbot, who replaced Martin Biron as the backup in New York this year, had an excellent campaign going 12-6-1 with a 1.64 GAA and .941 save percentage.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)