Jun 4, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
The New York Rangers won’t have their trusty backup available for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Cam Talbot, who came on in relief of Henrik Lundqvist in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final against Montreal, won’t be available for tonight’s series opener against the Kings. Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault confirmed the news during Wednesday’s pregame media availability; he didn’t specify what injury Talbot suffered, only saying the goalie’s status was “day-to-day.”
David LeNeveu, a 31-year-old journeyman, will dress as Lundqvist’s backup tonight. The former Coyotes and Blue Jackets netminder has dressed with the Rangers already this season — in late January, he sat as Talbot’s backup while Lundqvist sat out versus the Islanders with an illness.
LeNeveu went 12-8-2 with AHL Hartford this year, with a 2.46 GAA and .915 save percentage.
Talbot, who replaced Martin Biron as the backup in New York this year, had an excellent campaign going 12-6-1 with a 1.64 GAA and .941 save percentage.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 11
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 33
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- Erik Haula signs two-year extension with Wild (35)