Jun 4, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
The New York Rangers won’t have their trusty backup available for Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final.
Cam Talbot, who came on in relief of Henrik Lundqvist in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference Final against Montreal, won’t be available for tonight’s series opener against the Kings. Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault confirmed the news during Wednesday’s pregame media availability; he didn’t specify what injury Talbot suffered, only saying the goalie’s status was “day-to-day.”
David LeNeveu, a 31-year-old journeyman, will dress as Lundqvist’s backup tonight. The former Coyotes and Blue Jackets netminder has dressed with the Rangers already this season — in late January, he sat as Talbot’s backup while Lundqvist sat out versus the Islanders with an illness.
LeNeveu went 12-8-2 with AHL Hartford this year, with a 2.46 GAA and .915 save percentage.
Talbot, who replaced Martin Biron as the backup in New York this year, had an excellent campaign going 12-6-1 with a 1.64 GAA and .941 save percentage.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 57
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (58)