Afternoon reading: On Pacioretty, Montreal’s sensitive sniper

Jun 4, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT

Max Pacioretty AP

Just sitting in the Staples Center media room. All’s quiet here, so I thought I’d pass along some afternoon reading in the wake of Guy Lafleur’s pointed comments on Max Pacioretty.

This column by the Toronto Star’s Bruce Arthur is a good look into Pacioretty’s sensitive psyche.

“When I first got called up (in 2009) I scored on my first shot, first period, first game, and I thought life was the easiest thing in the world,” said Pacioretty. “I thought I was never going back to the minors. And you go two games without a point, three games without a point, four or five, and you feel like you’re the worst person ever, the worst player ever. And at that point of my career I wasn’t mentally strong enough to come out of that. You just feel like you’re never going to score again, and . . .

Also check out the Twitter feed of NHL.com’s Arpon Basu, who recently talked to Pacioretty about handling media and fan criticism in the hockey-mad market of Montreal.

“I can handle having a bad game and having people tell me that, and I can handle people critiquing my game and having an honest opinion,” said Pacioretty. “But, people mentioned I scored 39 goals, I think I was fourth in the league, and to take heat about scoring goals from no one that’s ever scored an NHL goal really bothers me at times.”

Obviously, some guys let criticism bother them more than others. Pacioretty is in the “bothers him a lot” category, which is why playing in Montreal has been so tough for him at times, and why he’s had to work on the mental side of the game.

To be fair, he’s only 25, and he did score four times in his last eight playoff games.

Latest Posts
  1. ‘Hawks 2011 first-round pick Danault told to emulate Kruger

Jul 24, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT

Phillip Danault Getty Images

In other words, they want him to be a shutdown center

2. Julien points to Eriksson as answer to Iginla departure

Jul 24, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT

louierikssongetty Getty Images

Eriksson’s looking to bounce back after suffering two concussions last season.

3. Booth eager to prove he ‘can play in this League again’

Jul 24, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT

NEWARK, NJ - OCTOBER 24: David Booth #7 of the Vancouver Canucks skates against the New Jersey Devils at the Prudential Center on October 24, 2013 in Newark, New Jersey. The Canucks defeated the Devils 3-2 in the shootout. (Photo by Bruce Bennett/Getty Images) Getty Images

He’ll get a fresh start after struggling with Vancouver.

4. Jets re-sign Ellerby despite not qualifying him

Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

Keaton Ellerby Getty Images

He’s coming back after testing the free agent waters.

5. Flames sign Ortio for two more years

Jul 24, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT

Joni Ortio Getty Images

He started in nine games for the Flames last season.

6. Vancouver signs ’14 first-rounder Jared McCann

Jul 24, 2014, 4:42 PM EDT

Jared McCann Getty Images

The Canucks selected him with one of the picks they got from the Ryan Kesler trade.

7. Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract

Jul 24, 2014, 3:31 PM EDT

Lars Eller Getty Images

The two sides managed to avoid arbitration despite a $1.45 million gap on a one-year deal.

8. B’s re-sign Warsofsky: one year, $600,000

Jul 24, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT

DavidWarsofsky Getty Images

Alternately known as “the guy Boston got for Vladimir Sobotka.”

9. Veteran NHLer Pyatt signs in Swiss league

Jul 24, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT

Taylor Pyatt

Journeyman split last season between the Rangers and Penguins.

10. Avs ‘confident’ they’ll reach deal with Barrie, says Sakic

Jul 24, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT

Tyson Barrie #4 of the Colorado Avalanche and head coach Patrick Roy appear on the bench during their preseason game against the Los Angeles Kings at the MGM Grand Garden Arena on September 28, 2013 in Las Vegas, Nevada. Colorado won 3-2.
(September 27, 2013 - Source: Ethan Miller/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

Offensive d-man led all Colorado blueliners in goals last year, with 13.

11. Isles, Poulin avoid arbitration with one-year, two-way deal

Jul 24, 2014, 12:22 PM EDT

Kevin Poulin

He’s likely to be the No. 3 goalie in New York this year.

12. Bruins name Sacco assistant coach

Jul 24, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT

Joe Sacco AP

Former Colorado bench boss and Massachusetts native returns home.

13. Avs hope to learn from ‘nightmare’ playoff finish

Jul 24, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Colorado Avalanche - Game Seven Getty Images

“Maybe it just wasn’t our time yet,” Patrick Roy said.

14. PHT Morning Skate: What to do with Niemi?

Jul 24, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Antti Niemi AP

Thursday’s assortment of links.

15. Babcock on analytics: ‘I love the information’

Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

mikebabcockgetty Getty Images

Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.

16. Florida phases out ‘Lady Panthers’

Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v Florida Panthers Getty Images

They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches