Afternoon reading: On Pacioretty, Montreal’s sensitive sniper

Jun 4, 2014, 4:31 PM EDT

Max Pacioretty AP

Just sitting in the Staples Center media room. All’s quiet here, so I thought I’d pass along some afternoon reading in the wake of Guy Lafleur’s pointed comments on Max Pacioretty.

This column by the Toronto Star’s Bruce Arthur is a good look into Pacioretty’s sensitive psyche.

“When I first got called up (in 2009) I scored on my first shot, first period, first game, and I thought life was the easiest thing in the world,” said Pacioretty. “I thought I was never going back to the minors. And you go two games without a point, three games without a point, four or five, and you feel like you’re the worst person ever, the worst player ever. And at that point of my career I wasn’t mentally strong enough to come out of that. You just feel like you’re never going to score again, and . . .

Also check out the Twitter feed of NHL.com’s Arpon Basu, who recently talked to Pacioretty about handling media and fan criticism in the hockey-mad market of Montreal.

“I can handle having a bad game and having people tell me that, and I can handle people critiquing my game and having an honest opinion,” said Pacioretty. “But, people mentioned I scored 39 goals, I think I was fourth in the league, and to take heat about scoring goals from no one that’s ever scored an NHL goal really bothers me at times.”

Obviously, some guys let criticism bother them more than others. Pacioretty is in the “bothers him a lot” category, which is why playing in Montreal has been so tough for him at times, and why he’s had to work on the mental side of the game.

To be fair, he’s only 25, and he did score four times in his last eight playoff games.

Latest Posts
  1. Risk Factors: Dallas Stars edition

Oct 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT

Dallas Stars v Phoenix Coyotes Getty Images

Alex Goligoski is the team’s No. 1 d-man. And that’s a concern.

2. Predators, Taylor Beck agree to one-year contract

Oct 1, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

Taylor Beck Getty Images

He was a restricted free agent, but was still taking part in training camp.

3. Risk Factors: Buffalo Sabres edition

Oct 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

No, this post doesn’t just include the word “everything.”

4. Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’

Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT

Dallas Stars v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.

5. Video: Flames’ Gaudreau scored another nice one

Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.

6. Report: Marc Staal wants at least $6M per year from Rangers

Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Four Getty Images

He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.

7. NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton

Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

tkachevvlad Getty Images

Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.

8. Sabres expect Kaleta to miss about one month

Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs V Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.

9. NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale

Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v New York Islanders Getty Images

It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.

10. Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’

Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets  v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game Two Getty Images

What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …

11. Drouin’s goal is to return for Lightning opener

Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT

Lightning Camp Hockey AP

He says the “progress has been really good.”

12. Risk Factors: Toronto Maple Leafs edition

Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT

Randy Carlyle Getty Images

Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?

13. Babcock was raving about Smith’s performance versus Leafs

Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”

14. Caps still haven’t identified their 2C

Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Brooks Laich Getty Images

“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches