Jun 3, 2014, 9:33 AM EDT
Check PHT each weekday for the first four weeks of June for a new pending unrestricted free agent of the day. Today’s UFA of the Day is…
If Lightning GM Steve Yzerman has his way, Ryan Callahan will never reach the free agent market. The former New York Rangers captain was dealt to Tampa Bay on March 5 and his blend of grit and skill proved to be a nice fit in Tampa Bay. He had six goals and 11 points in 20 games after the trade, giving him 36 points in 65 contests overall in 2013-14.
The 29-year-old forward is typically good for over 40 points and 200 hits provided he stays relatively healthy. He’s only missed 26 contests over the last three campaigns with the majority of his time on the sidelines coming this season. However, the physical edge that he plays with and body-sacrificing mentality might lead to teams to worry about his long-term health, especially seeing as he’s likely to demand a long-term contract that will take him into his mid-30s.
Which brings us to the heart of the problem with Callahan: His asking price. Even after lowering it, Callahan was reportedly seeking a six-year deal worth $6.5 million to $6.75 million annually in early March.
It was his contract demands that likely motivated the Rangers to trade him in the first place and it might similarly keep Tampa Bay from re-signing him.
Perhaps Callahan will take a different approach with Tampa Bay, but his agent, Steve Bartlett, has already said that it would be tempting to wait to see what the market’s like on July 1.
Keep in mind that while his demands might seem high, teams have shown a willingness to pay big for capable two-way forwards. After all, David Clarkson is getting ready for the second season of his seven-year, $36.75 million deal with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)