Jun 3, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Some new names have surfaced regarding the vacant Pittsburgh Penguins general manager position.
On Tuesday, NBC Sports’ Pierre McGuire confirmed reports of being in the mix during a radio interview with TSN 1050:
— TSN 1050 Toronto (@TSN1050Radio) June 3, 2014
Shortly thereafter, TSN’s Darren Dreger reported that ex-Carolina GM Jim Rutherford had also interviewed for the position:
Add Jim Rutherford’s name to the list of those who have interviewed for Penguins vacant gm job.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) June 3, 2014
McGuire, 52, has a connection to the Pittsburgh organization. He served as a scout in 1990 and an assistant coach under Scotty Bowman during the club’s Stanley Cup wins in 1991 and ’92. In the TSN interview, he added “it’s been a pretty fluid process throughout the last 10 days to two weeks.”
Rutherford, 65, was recently replaced as GM in Carolina by Ron Francis after 20 years on the job. He too has ties to the Pittsburgh organization, having played in goal for the club from 1971-74.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 76
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (76)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)