Jun 3, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Some new names have surfaced regarding the vacant Pittsburgh Penguins general manager position.
On Tuesday, NBC Sports’ Pierre McGuire confirmed reports of being in the mix during a radio interview with TSN 1050:
— TSN 1050 Toronto (@TSN1050Radio) June 3, 2014
Shortly thereafter, TSN’s Darren Dreger reported that ex-Carolina GM Jim Rutherford had also interviewed for the position:
Add Jim Rutherford’s name to the list of those who have interviewed for Penguins vacant gm job.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) June 3, 2014
McGuire, 52, has a connection to the Pittsburgh organization. He served as a scout in 1990 and an assistant coach under Scotty Bowman during the club’s Stanley Cup wins in 1991 and ’92. In the TSN interview, he added “it’s been a pretty fluid process throughout the last 10 days to two weeks.”
Rutherford, 65, was recently replaced as GM in Carolina by Ron Francis after 20 years on the job. He too has ties to the Pittsburgh organization, having played in goal for the club from 1971-74.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)