Jun 3, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Some new names have surfaced regarding the vacant Pittsburgh Penguins general manager position.
On Tuesday, NBC Sports’ Pierre McGuire confirmed reports of being in the mix during a radio interview with TSN 1050:
— TSN 1050 Toronto (@TSN1050Radio) June 3, 2014
Shortly thereafter, TSN’s Darren Dreger reported that ex-Carolina GM Jim Rutherford had also interviewed for the position:
Add Jim Rutherford’s name to the list of those who have interviewed for Penguins vacant gm job.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) June 3, 2014
McGuire, 52, has a connection to the Pittsburgh organization. He served as a scout in 1990 and an assistant coach under Scotty Bowman during the club’s Stanley Cup wins in 1991 and ’92. In the TSN interview, he added “it’s been a pretty fluid process throughout the last 10 days to two weeks.”
Rutherford, 65, was recently replaced as GM in Carolina by Ron Francis after 20 years on the job. He too has ties to the Pittsburgh organization, having played in goal for the club from 1971-74.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)