Jun 3, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Some new names have surfaced regarding the vacant Pittsburgh Penguins general manager position.
On Tuesday, NBC Sports’ Pierre McGuire confirmed reports of being in the mix during a radio interview with TSN 1050:
— TSN 1050 Toronto (@TSN1050Radio) June 3, 2014
Shortly thereafter, TSN’s Darren Dreger reported that ex-Carolina GM Jim Rutherford had also interviewed for the position:
Add Jim Rutherford’s name to the list of those who have interviewed for Penguins vacant gm job.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) June 3, 2014
McGuire, 52, has a connection to the Pittsburgh organization. He served as a scout in 1990 and an assistant coach under Scotty Bowman during the club’s Stanley Cup wins in 1991 and ’92. In the TSN interview, he added “it’s been a pretty fluid process throughout the last 10 days to two weeks.”
Rutherford, 65, was recently replaced as GM in Carolina by Ron Francis after 20 years on the job. He too has ties to the Pittsburgh organization, having played in goal for the club from 1971-74.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)