Jun 3, 2014, 2:33 PM EDT
Some new names have surfaced regarding the vacant Pittsburgh Penguins general manager position.
On Tuesday, NBC Sports’ Pierre McGuire confirmed reports of being in the mix during a radio interview with TSN 1050:
— TSN 1050 Toronto (@TSN1050Radio) June 3, 2014
Shortly thereafter, TSN’s Darren Dreger reported that ex-Carolina GM Jim Rutherford had also interviewed for the position:
Add Jim Rutherford’s name to the list of those who have interviewed for Penguins vacant gm job.
— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) June 3, 2014
McGuire, 52, has a connection to the Pittsburgh organization. He served as a scout in 1990 and an assistant coach under Scotty Bowman during the club’s Stanley Cup wins in 1991 and ’92. In the TSN interview, he added “it’s been a pretty fluid process throughout the last 10 days to two weeks.”
Rutherford, 65, was recently replaced as GM in Carolina by Ron Francis after 20 years on the job. He too has ties to the Pittsburgh organization, having played in goal for the club from 1971-74.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 8
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 18
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)